USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just going thru some personal statement examples. one of them was for emergency medicine. Is that something u can apply to right after ur done with USMLE? or do u need to do a residency in internal medicine or something before u can apply to it?

how competitive is it? ( something tells me VERY ):toosad:

·
Registered
535 Posts
yup it is very competitive but not impossible. there about 29 programs that are well known to take IMGs, the list is present on my blogspot.
you don't need to do internal medicine before EM. you can directly start PGY1 EM or do PGY1 in other specialty (usually prelim med) according to the program requirements then start PGY2 EM (you will be matching for both together pgy1 prelim and pgy2 EM)

Goodluck

·
Registered
76 Posts
hey

yup it is very competitive but not impossible. there about 29 programs that are well known to take IMGs, the list is present on my blogspot.
you don't need to do internal medicine before EM. you can directly start PGY1 EM or do PGY1 in other specialty (usually prelim med) according to the program requirements then start PGY2 EM (you will be matching for both together pgy1 prelim and pgy2 EM)

Goodluck
hey applicantGuide i was wondering if u cud display a list of programs for green cards and US citizens coz i hav been looking for them for a long time...thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
i am new to the matching can you explain how can we match pgy 1 and pgy2 in EM,:sorry::scared:
There's two ways you can go into EM

First (Emergency Medicine - Categorical) which means you get accepted into EM right from PGY1.

Second (Internal Medicine - EM) which means you get accepted into a IM PGY1 preliminary then PGY2 EM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.