USMLE Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I FMG I completed my residency in my home country also I am certefied in ob/gyn in my home country , so can I apply to fellowship in USA.
and there is any program can accept fellowship for FMG without residency in USA.:confused:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
No you cannot

Obgyn fellowships goes through NRMP as also just like the residency match

They have a strict policy of not accepting any fellowship application without prior completed residency in obstetrics/gynecology.

This is not from me

Read this official page in full and pay attention to the details
http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/obgyn/about.html

Sorry for the bad news :(

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Fellowships withour residency

Only few specialties accept fellowship without residency. These some weird specialties such as interventional cardiology, transplant, research, ...etc

The best resource to find about medical fellowships in USA is the freida website
Go to this page
https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/viewProgramSearch.do
and choose obgyn fellowships and then go to each individual program website and read their website or even email them if you see any glance of hope.

This is a long time process and you have to devote at least 6 hours searching for what you want.

But then again as Aviram told you, you chances are very low if not nil.

By the way don't forget that you have to have ECFMG even if you get a fellowship without residency.

Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
applying for oncology without US residency possible?
i could not find any link which tells about specialities which can be applied for without a residency in US
im talking abt IMGS please
thanx

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
applying for oncology without US residency possible?
i could not find any link which tells about specialities which can be applied for without a residency in US
im talking abt IMGS please
thanx
There's no oncology fellowship without residency in US

·
Registered
29 Posts
Answer to your question is above in post number 3 :)
i followed that link and searched this program

University of Texas at Houston Program
Identifier: 110-48-21-096
Specialty: Emergency Medicine

Basic information

Last updated: 10/15/2009

Survey received: 10/05/2009

Program Director: Samuel D Luber, MD, MPH
Univ of Texas Houston Med Sch
Dept of Emergency Med JJL 447
6431 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Tel: (713) 500-7882
Fax: (713) 500-0758
E-mail: [email protected]

Person to contact for more information about the program:
Elraletta F Muhammad
Univ of Texas Houston Med Sch
JJL 431
6431 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Tel: (713) 500-7882
Fax: (713) 500-0758
E-mail: [email protected]

Web Address: http://www.uth.tmc.edu/uth_orgs/emer_med/
Accredited length 3 Required length 3 Accepting applications for 2010-2011 Yes Will be accepting applications for 2011-2012 Yes Program start dates July Participates in ERAS Yes Affiliated with U.S. government No

now how can i know, this program will accept IMGs without a residency in US?

thanks

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes you can do fellowship in the United States without doing residency but you will not be board eligible. Most of those fulfill 2 or more of these criteria:
1-Finished residency back home.
2-ECFMG ceritified.
3-Get the fellowship thru government agreements with the sponsoring institution (example Saudi Arabia send doctors to do fellowships in the area they need to certain specific programs).
4-Have contacts in the fellowship program.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes you can do fellowship in the United States without doing residency but you will not be board eligible. Most of those fulfill 2 or more of these criteria:
1-Finished residency back home.
2-ECFMG ceritified.
3-Get the fellowship thru government agreements with the sponsoring institution (example Saudi Arabia send doctors to do fellowships in the area they need to certain specific programs).
4-Have contacts in the fellowship program.
Are there preferred countries other than Canada which one should do their residency to get into fellowship easily? I mean coupled with the ECFMG certification.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts