USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm preparing for my step 2ck which i'm doing before step 1. (I'm an IMG from the UK). Cardiology seems to be a weak area for me on UWorld feedback. One reason for this is so many questions seem to rely on knowledge of Swann-Gantz catheters and data from right heart catheters.

The Kaplan internal medicine book doesn't really cover any of this. Can anyone suggest good resources to improve my knowledge in this area?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
To md5rr ... about Cardiac Catheterisation

I am IMG who faced the same problem :eek: while I am preparing for CK

a rapid solution to understand the matter :rolleyes:.... when I open the related topic in Wikipedia ...it greatly helps me to understand SWAN GANZ and related hemodynamics disturbances in different types of shock
Swan Ganz precisely....i understand the topic greatly when heard kaplan video about respiration when he discuss the idea in !chapter of ARDS
I think it was video.... version 2003 :)
If u need i can send it to u via email

Reactions: md5rr

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Hi all,

I'm preparing for my step 2ck which i'm doing before step 1. (I'm an IMG from the UK). Cardiology seems to be a weak area for me on UWorld feedback. One reason for this is so many questions seem to rely on knowledge of Swann-Gantz catheters and data from right heart catheters.

The Kaplan internal medicine book doesn't really cover any of this. Can anyone suggest good resources to improve my knowledge in this area?

Many thanks.
That's why you should take Step 1 before CK. When you read the Step 1 books you will understand this particular topic perfectly.
That's why I disagree with what you said here http://www.usmle-forums.com/general-topics-recommended-threads/1223-imgs-step-take-first.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why you should take Step 1 before CK. When you read the Step 1 books you will understand this particular topic perfectly.
That's why I disagree with what you said here http://www.usmle-forums.com/general-topics-recommended-threads/1223-imgs-step-take-first.html
A valid point. However, a bit late for me to change my mind now.

Could you recommend somewhere in the Kaplan series for me to look this up? In the physiology book or path or where? That would be more useful feedback

·
Registered
752 Posts
Some important points

Here are some values that can help tremendously:

• Jugular vein filling level, which is the level of the blood column you see when the patient is lying in a 45-degree position, should be less than 3 cm. If it's higher, there's jugular vein distension.
  • Jugular venous pressure should be 6-8 cm H2O. If it's higher, there's jugular vein distension.
Jugular vein distension (aka distended neck veins) denotes TS, right ventricular failure, constrictive pericarditis, cardiac tamponade, late CHF, or tension pneumothorax.

• PCWP (Pulmonary Capillary Wedge Pressure), which is also a measure of the left atrial pressure, has a normal range of 6-12 mmHg. If the value is higher in a case of pulmonary edema, it denotes a cardiac cause, like MS or CHF. But, if the value is normal, think of an independent pulmonary cause, like ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts