USMLE Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a question and I hope you can help me :)
As far as I know, a cardiac insufficiency is declared when the heart (right or left) cannot pump enough blood to the organs connected to it (be them lungs or other organs). A cardiac insufficiency (right or left), if left untreated, will lead to a CARDIOGENIC shock with hypotension, tachycardia, peripheral ischemia and cyanosis, often followed by death.
I would like to know if what I stated is correct as well as inquire about the causes of cardiac insufficiency.
Logically, I'm thinking of insufficiency following cardiac depletion or overload. I mean if the left heart is "empty" this will lead to a LHI and if it's let's say overloaded with blood, it cannot stretch normally and the cardiac flow will go down hence the insufficiency. Is this correct?
Finally, I'd like to know more about the specific AVF (arterio-venous fistula) case, especially when caused by a trauma. Blood will logically go adrift the pressure gradient from the artery to the vein, causing chronically a right heart overload, therefore a right heart insufficiency due to overload followed by a left heart insufficiency due to volume depletion. Am I thinking the right way?
Any confident answer or reliable source to check, may be well appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Fernand :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I still prefer if someone can help me first consider what I am imagining correct or wrong, for the sake of simplifying things. Then we can go into details if need be. :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Much of the early treatment of heart failure relates to the treatment of the symptoms of heart failure such as diuretics, once acute symptoms are under control, then longer-term strategies are considered. Below is an example of suggested pharmacological management of HFrEF patients.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts