USMLE Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10) You are working in a local TB health center and you are about to interpret the result of a Mantoux tuberculin skin test on one of your patients who has had a history of fever and cough.

Which of the following is NOT true about tuberculin skin testing (TST) for tuberculosis?

A) Patients who have received BCG vaccine should not have TST.
B) An initially negative test does not exclude the possibility of active infection.
C) A subsequent (2nd) negative test, several weeks after the first, does not exclude the possibility of active infection.
D) A previously TST-positive patient can become TST-negative later in life.
E) For TST to reflect recent infection it should be done > 3 weeks after exposure

Explanation will be posted soon....

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Answer is A

I think A is the correct answer.
You can still do PPD and interpret it even if the patient was BCG vaccinated ;)

Hey, medicalexams, I noticed that you use British terminology in your questions such Mantoux and Ventolin while you should be using US terminology like PPD and Albuterol ... this is USMLE website :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think A is the correct answer.
You can still do PPD and interpret it even if the patient was BCG vaccinated ;)

Hey, medicalexams, I noticed that you use British terminology in your questions such Mantoux and Ventolin while you should be using US terminology like PPD and Albuterol ... this is USMLE website :rolleyes:
Sorry about that, our site has questions for exams world wide and I guess this was taken from the Canadian/UK bank, next time we will take the question directly from the USMLE exam bank on MedicalExams.com - apologies :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts