USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, :)

Im a student 5th year from Budapest without citizenship or GC, but with doctor relatives in the states who want to do residency in the states, preferably cardiothoracic, urology surgery or cardiology (Internal).
i have done only step 1 got 257
i can get at least 1 , max 2, clinical electives in the state as my university has exchange program with NYMC, ill we able to get excellent LOR from my dean of university, and hopefully a good one aswell from NYMC. I dont have any research experience or good possibilities for it :notsure:.

How do you guys judge that if i get roughly the same scores in the other steps, hopefully higher +260, have chances matching in the main areas NY, NJ , Florida, California ,all this without research and with the info provided above on the fields presented :confused:.

Thanks ahead for the replies.

·
Banned
1,106 Posts
My husband is going Neurosurgery, Back up Orthopedic, up couple of other specailtes rounding to 650--750 Programs he choose up to now. Hes Carib-IMG Need visa low step 1, average step 2 , CS-first attempt, 4 posters, 2 books, 3 research and 6 LORS. 24 month of USCE

let see what happens.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hello everyone, :)

Im a student 5th year from Budapest without citizenship or GC, but with doctor relatives in the states who want to do residency in the states, preferably cardiothoracic, urology surgery or cardiology (Internal).
i have done only step 1 got 257
i can get at least 1 , max 2, clinical electives in the state as my university has exchange program with NYMC, ill we able to get excellent LOR from my dean of university, and hopefully a good one aswell from NYMC. I dont have any research experience or good possibilities for it :notsure:.

How do you guys judge that if i get roughly the same scores in the other steps, hopefully higher +260, have chances matching in the main areas NY, NJ , Florida, California ,all this without research and with the info provided above on the fields presented :confused:.

Thanks ahead for the replies.
As far as i know You have to do a primary residency like IM(for urology) or General surgery(for CTS) before you can apply for these subspecialities as a fellow..
Your Step 1 score is awesome and getting these two residencies will not be a headache with your electives..Try to create contact and some publication(in case of surgery residency)..you can easily get into a top tier Uni program..from there fellowship will be easy and matter of time only:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as i know You have to do a primary residency like IM(for urology) or General surgery(for CTS) before you can apply for these subspecialities as a fellow..
Your Step 1 score is awesome and getting these two residencies will not be a headache with your electives..Try to create contact and some publication(in case of surgery residency)..you can easily get into a top tier Uni program..from there fellowship will be easy and matter of time only:)
When you talk about publications what do you mean? like research publication?

·
Banned
1,106 Posts
My husband is going Neurosurgery, Back up Orthopedic, up couple of other specailtes rounding to 650--750 Programs he choose up to now. Hes Carib-IMG Need visa low step 1, average step 2 , CS-first attempt, 4 posters, 2 books, 3 research and 6 LORS. 24 month of USCE

let see what happens.
is 5 posters, 14 LORS now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.