USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello gys.
I am a big fan of this forum all the members are too good and guide with sincerity.
I am graduated in 2009 jan. I am very passionate about dermatology. In july 2012 I will complete my post graduation in dermatology.
I have started my steps study & planning to give steps 1 in may 2013..
I want to ask u what strategy I should appoint to get match in dermatology... I know i have heard a lot that for IMGs dermatology is very difficult.
I did my post graduation in my country because if i will not get match in dermatology so i will come back to my country..

kindly waiting for ur positive and realistic guidelines :sorry:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Dermatology is very very competitive specialty.

American graduates like it because it has good income plus great lifestyle (no night calls).

Therefore, for IMGs, it's extremely difficult to get into dermatology.

However, very difficult does not equal impossible.

To maximize your chances, you need the following;

• Very high USMLE scores (240+) in Step 1 and CK
  • Passing the CS from the first attempt
  • Three US dermatology LoRs
  • Research publications in Medline recognized journals
  • At least six months of dermatology USCE in USA

For more information click the Dermatology-Match tag link at the bottom of this thread.

-

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sabio u have increased my confidence level. its mean i can get it by hardworking... kindly plz explain me "At least six months of dermatology USCE ", plz explain it..
Plz also tell me will my post graduation in dermatology counts in USA, mean do they even think about this that this candidate is very much willing for dermatology as he did post graduation from his country then come to USA i want to ask is this go in my favor or not?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
43 Posts
realistic

Thank you sabio for that information.
I want to know if you or anyone else has personally come across a an indian img who actually matched in dermatology !!
is it a realistic goal to get derm residency???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts