USMLE Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everybody! I'm an IMG and I have a pediatric surgery certificate, but I've worked in pediatric urology department. Will my urology background be a problem on IV for general surgery? Have you such experience with changing a speciality from pediatric surgery to general surgery? From one surgical speciality to another? (Since I've realized there were no urology residencies for IMG's in 2010 I decided my attempts to become a urologist will be useless but I can't imagine myself being a pediatrician).

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yes, you can do that

Urology and other surgical subspecialty residencies (including pediatric surgery) are extremely difficult for IMGs because of the limited seats and because they are highly desired by American students who are always preferred over IMGs.

Therefore, you have to shift gear from urology and pediatric surgery to general surgery. To do that you have to do several things, here's a list:

• High scores in USMLE
  • Observerships, Exterenships, and Research in surgery in USA
  • Strong LoRs from US surgeons
  • Show dedication to general surgery
  • Get connected with surgeons here in USA
Once you've done all that then there will be no problem in that you previously had pediatric urology experience, on the contrary it will be in your side.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts