USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
experience with chicago clerckship

when I heard my friends' experience with other people I said well chicago clerckship are the best. but I have to say nothing is perfect but overall is good. I did ob-gyn externship ,the doctor let us do everything u can imagine but the drawbacks were that the main hospital she was working in didnt accept students not sent by medical school so she were sneeking us in only to the clinic but we couldn't get into the OR and delivery ward. the other thing the doctor accepted 10 students at the same time so when she was st calling us all to the clinic each one got the chance to examine one patient only. but the good thing is that she was awsome in her LOR which what we all want ,right. good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are willing to relocate, chicago clerkships is the best. They have tuition information in the website, and there is no hidden fee. The application is straightforward and clear, and you get to know which hospital you are going before you pay and make final decisions. I have done two month of clerkship with them, and it was better than I thought. For the physicians that I was working on, I had a lot of hands on experience, especially in the outpatient clinic. Most importanly, I felt that the program really cares about their students. Throughout the whole 2-month clerkship, I can alway get hold of Lori Ramos whenever I have a question or concern, and she will try her best to help me out.

I actually contacted Americlerkship before I applied to chicago clerkships. Compared with chicago clerkships, Americlerkship has much higher tuition. The most annoy thing is that they put an offer for me and then want me to pay the tuition in 3 hours, but there is no detailed information about the hospital that I am going (they only put city names in the offer). If I don't accept in 3 hours, then the tuition is going to be higher because I will not have that much of discounts. In my offer, two month of clerkship is more than $5000. Besides tuition, there is another about $500 of membership fee. I have several friends did clerkship with Americlerkship, and they all doing exact the same thing as Chicago clerkship offered to me. So in terms of the quality of clerkship, there is not much of difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone!

I have done 2 pediatrics rotations with Chicago Clerkships, the first one was 4-weeks long and the second one was 6-weeks long. Both rotations were at outpatient settings and the during the last one I had the opportunity to go on rounds at the floor and the hospital nursery.
Because of my good performance I was given letters of recommendation in support of my application to pediatrics residency programs.
Chicago Clerkships offers an excellent service, I highly recommend it!
They were very helpful in reviewing my personal statement and my CV as well as giving me an extensive career counseling including how to plan my application strategy.

Thank you Chicago Clerkships!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i did a psych rotation with chicagoclerkships, and it went really well. The doctor i was with was really nice, he understands that i was studying for boards and allows me to do so. The rest of the staff is very nice, and i was able to accomplish everything i want to do. It is an outpatient clinic, so you get a calendar with the time and place of where you need to be. The doctor doesn't force you to do anything and it really is what you put in. He is happy to answer any questions and on a daily basis discusses patients with you. Their background medical history and asks you what medications you think should be given. Would recommend this rotation, especially if you are looking for some time to get a lot of studying done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
any inpatient experience?

i did a psych rotation with chicagoclerkships, and it went really well. The doctor i was with was really nice, he understands that i was studying for boards and allows me to do so. The rest of the staff is very nice, and i was able to accomplish everything i want to do. It is an outpatient clinic, so you get a calendar with the time and place of where you need to be. The doctor doesn't force you to do anything and it really is what you put in. He is happy to answer any questions and on a daily basis discusses patients with you. Their background medical history and asks you what medications you think should be given. Would recommend this rotation, especially if you are looking for some time to get a lot of studying done.
thanq for the reply. was there any inpatient experience?
does he take to any hospitals?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chicagoclerkships

If you are looking to do clinical rotation in the US, Chicagoclerkships is very good. I did a psych rotation (outpatient) at Lombard IL. All I have to say is the rotation was wonderful and very interactive. The physician is always willing to answer questions and brings student up to date on every case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chicago Clerkship

Hi everyone, I just finished doing my one month rotation through Chicago Clerkship and It was awesome.
I applied for the ED experience, and I had 3 shift a week, some night shifts, some day shifts. I get to go to two totally different hospitals: South Shore and Holy Cross. This allowed me to see not only different ways to work but also different population and of course, different pathology's.
The doctor that I shadowed liked to have an "academic hour" every shift, and sometimes you had to be the one presenting a subject or looking for information on how to manage something you saw.
If you are interested and you like it, you could have a lot of hands-on experience. I got to do: Full physical exam for every patient.
Follow up of the patient: labs, x-rays, CT. and with their needs.
Be up to date on how patients where responding to treatments on the ER and get back to the doctor every couple of minutes. Perform EKG's on every patient. Draw blood, first with nurses assistance, then on my own.
Clean wounds (stitches, lacerations, patient that fell down and had cuts and bruises all over his face). Assist with procedures such as pelvic exam, put central lines, give and remove stitches, put urinary catheters, drain abscess.
I actually did CPR on a patient and bagged the patient with an ambu mask, I got to put 3 stitches on the eyebrow of a patient!!
I was so excited with everything, I loved it!!
They even offered housing options for really affordable prices. I stayed at a house in Hyde Park for a month.
If you are looking for a great rotation, in a big city, but also in hospitals where you can have hands-on experience, this is the way to go!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
to all those guys who posted in this thread.....

are the doctors who evaluate us BOARD certified...?????
form what i heard from my seniors, majority of the times, the docs who write LOR's for us are not board certified....is it?????

·
Registered
55 Posts
Endocrinology

Is there any one with experience of doing endocrinology rotation with chicagoclerkship?....i want to know in which hospitals or private clinics they offer this rotation....waiting for a reply!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
my view on Chicago Clerkship

It is good, they guide u in some way. I think it is a good opportunity for IMG who have not taken any steps to experience the medical system in U.S. I also wondered if is real or not at first, which turns out to be excellently real. So , if u could not find other option to do clerkship, it is definately good idea.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts