USMLE Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
thank you chicagoclerkships!

Hi all, I recently had a one month externship with Chicagoclerkships. I just want to say it was really a good experience. I had a hands on rotation with a board certified physician who is very friendly and knowledgable. He would ask a lot of questions every day during rounding and we interact with patients a lot! It was so helpful to be involved like a real physician and u get good professional training. All the persons in the hospital were very nice and helpful. Lori is really nice and responded to each of my question timely and professionally. I want to say thank you to the people from Chicagoclerkships and in the hospital and my home stay lady!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Surgery experience.

Hello everyone,
My experience with Chicago Clerkships is the following.
Surgery as everybody knows, is very difficult to get real "hands-on" experience. The "hands-on" experience offered is merely doing H&P's, that in my opinion is good for those who are going to take Step 2 CS soon, but for others is not. Otherwise, you can practice anywhere in your country with anyone that can speak English and can follow a script. No real hands-on experience due to the difficult getting it in the United States in general.
My experience was not the best, because the first rotation they did not give me what promised, the second was ok due to the doctors, great persons but just outpatient clinic and the third, outpatient with students and honestly, I would not recommend it and specially for the price. Probably for others specialties is ok, but fur Surgery is not. I recommend writing to faculty members in university programs and get some observers. More valuable because the rotation is in an university affiliated hospital and the LORs are from recognized US Surgeons and not just a letter to fullfill the requirements. And also, you can get the rotations for free in some of the universities. I did that, and I matched so probably you can benefit from my opinion.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Surgery Rotations

Thanks, GM90 for your review. For IMGs, hands-on hospital surgery rotations are extremely difficult to find; there is a lot of demand and not a lot of options if you are no longer enrolled in medical school.

Due to the difficulties you experienced, Chicago Clerkships decided not to continue offering surgery as a rotation option. We are dedicated to providing the highest quality rotations to our clients, and thus far it has been impossible for us to find a surgery rotation that lives up to our standards.

I think your advice is sound. I'd like to add to it by recommending this option that we have come across:

https://depts.washington.edu/uwsurgap/fmg.html

All the best to you and congratulations on matching! It was a pleasure having you as a client.

Lori Ramos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Lori. And good luck to you too with your company.

For users, you can also try research fellows, there are some spots open every year.

Germán Mendoza

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pediatrics Rotation

Getting the word out to everyone regarding our amazing pediatrics rotation: 100% hospital, pediatric ER, teaching rounds, grand rounds, at not just one but TWO teaching hospitals with a preceptor who is a member of the residency recruitment committee for one of the hospitals.

Lori Ramos

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks GM90

Hi

I so your post on chicagoclerkship and it was very helpful. I have similar score to you and to see at the end of your post that you matched was awesome congrats!
I have a couple questions. Did you try other services like american clerkships of FMG clerkships? did you matched to your first choice, surgery? any recommendations for a Colombian IMG, 2008 graduation similar scores on boards. I have being following some physicians but no hands on experience.

Thanks

Carlos Marin
[email protected]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rotation Boot Camps

In a hurry and highly motivated? Ask about our ROTATION BOOT CAMPS. You can do two rotations simultaneously and get two LORs. We will help you work out the schedule. Available Rotation Boot Camps: Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Family Medicine with pediatric focus, Family Medicine with adult focus; Emergency Medicine, peds and general, Pediatric Boot Camp with baby focus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i did a psych rotation with chicagoclerkships, and it went really well. The doctor i was with was really nice, he understands that i was studying for boards and allows me to do so. The rest of the staff is very nice, and i was able to accomplish everything i want to do. It is an outpatient clinic, so you get a calendar with the time and place of where you need to be. The doctor doesn't force you to do anything and it really is what you put in. He is happy to answer any questions and on a daily basis discusses patients with you. Their background medical history and asks you what medications you think should be given. Would recommend this rotation, especially if you are looking for some time to get a lot of studying done.
thank you, would you have any tips to better prepare for the psych USCE?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please let me any one done externship with chicago clerkships
I don't know how other companies are like. But I did 2 rotations in family medicine with Chicago clerkships and met other students who also had different rotations with the same experience. During the first rotation, we spent over 60% of our time doing secretarial work, follow up with insurance and make appointments for patients, and we had to struggle to get our LoR uploaded before we left as other students were calling the clinic repeatedly anxious because their LoR's haven't been uploaded since months.
My 2nd rotation was mostly an observership because of the way the appointments were set out and she uploaded my LoR 10 after ERAS opened for programs.

They do offer a CV and P.S. editing service, but the first time I sent her my CV she focused on the formatting of my cv, which I changed and ended up being a huge waste of time for me because myERAS formatting is already set... and when I showed my edited P.S. to another professional he told me that they gave me really bad advice about what to include and not include in my personal letter...

They also recommended student housing, which turned out to be in a very dangerous neighborhood and there was a drive-by shooting on our street.

So that was my experience and naturally, I would not recommend them to someone...

41 - 56 of 56 Posts