USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm a graduate of one of the Chinese medical schools that is listed in IMED and live in the United States. I 'm trying to prepare my Application for the ECFMG certification. I am unclear about certain aspects of the application process. I would appreciate your answers to the following questions.

1. I read that "the original medical diploma must be certified by foreign affairs". I obtained this information in the USMLE FORUM. What does "Foreign Affairs" mean here? Is it the foreign affairs department of my medical school, or the foreign affairs of the local state government? The original diploma issued by my medical school was imprinted with the school stamp, but it was not certified by the foreign affair as mentioned above. If it is the foreign affairs of my school, could I make a copy of my original diploma to send back to my school for certification? If yes, it is enough for the ECFMG?

2. Actually, I have a word-for-word translation document (based upon original medical diploma) which was translated by my medical school and was also imprinted with the school stamp, but it is not certified by the foreign affairs as mentioned above. I'm not sure that would be enough for the ECFMG. If no, please give me a list or information for the translator.

3. If I can apply my USMLE Identification Number (ID) first during preparing my application? My understanding is that the application process begins when I log into the IWA and fill out on-line forms after obtaining ID and password. So I think I need to do this now. Is there an expiration date for completing the application process after I obtain the ID, or it is there none?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Answers

>You don't need to attest your credentials by foreign affairs, your medical school stamp is sufficient as long as it's listed in IMED.

>There's no time limit in which you have to finish the application process after getting the USMLE ID.

Did I answer all your questions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>You don't need to attest your credentials by foreign affairs, your medical school stamp is sufficient as long as it's listed in IMED.

>There's no time limit in which you have to finish the application process after getting the USMLE ID.

Did I answer all your questions?
Dr. Sabio,

Thank you so much for your response, especially for helping everyone who asked the questions by using your free time (your Sunday). I really appreciate it. That is all that I want to know. Best wishes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts