USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am a fresh graduate, got 245 in step 1 and unfortunately i failed Step 2cs first time. What are the chances that I will match into a good IM residency? I am an international graduate with good amount of hands on clinical experience and few publications!!

Kindly comment!

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Depends on your defintion, but for most people, matching at a good IM program? I'd guess less than 5%

Matching into any IM program is a more realistic goal. Failing step2cs is a big hurdle but people have done it before. If you have good clinical experience, good letters and good publications along with your step 1 score it's possible. A lot honestly is going to depend on your step 2ck score, your visa status, passing step 2cs the second time and having a good reason for why you failed it the first time. Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey!

I think you can match in a good residency program, if you work hard!!
with step 2cs failure it becomes difficult to match in low tier program(which i don't think you should aim at) because their step 1 cutoff is low and they screen applicants based on their cs attempt, because their are very few people with cs attempt(because even a fool can pass this exam), so they use step 2cs as a filter.
And I think you step 1 score is excellent, and even top 20 university program uses cutoff around 240. So, you are quite safe there. And they do not use Step2 cs failure as a filter.

And you have publications and hands on experience, which is the one of the important criteria for top tier programs, in that you can beat other candidate without cs attempt.

I think next best shot is to pass ck with a good score 250+ and passing cs this time.

You are a strong candidate!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts