USMLE Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Is it better to do clerkship in a single place for 2 months or 2 places 1 month each?
2. When is the ideal time to apply for clerkship?
3. Is it necessary to complete all four rotations of medicine, surgery, Gyne and ped before applying?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
There's no difference between two places and one place as the long as the duration is the same, because what matters is the duration.
However, doing it in two places could mean more LORs which is of course better.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
The ideal time for clerkships is after getting your ECFMG, which means after graduating from school.

Take step 1, and step 2 CK in your home country

Come to US and do step 2 CS and clerkship

Then apply to the match with good faith and hope

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is it true that as medical students you get to apply for externships whereas once you graduate, you only get to apply for observerships?

Please correct me if I am wrong. But if that is the case, wouldnt it be better to go to US for externships when you are still a medical student, and by this, you get more hands on experience?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh I see. Then is there any advantage when applying for clerkships when you are still a medical student? I always had the idea that you should apply for clerkship when you are still a med student. It doesn't really matter huh?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
The thing is that IMGs are usually living outside US when they are still medical students.

So it's rather difficult for them to come to US for a clerkship as it needs huge expenses and takes time.

Another reason, IMGs usually begin their matching journey after arrival to US (like for doing the CS exam) and from there they look for the clerkship to enhance their ERAS application.

Nevertheless, if you are still a medical (as your profile is showing) and you are so keen about it and you have the money, then why not? it will be great and it will save you time and you'll be able to match right after graduation just like the US student here :)

The greatest website ever to look for clerkships is this
www.americlerkships.org

·
Registered
51 Posts
The thing is that IMGs are usually living outside US when they are still medical students.

So it's rather difficult for them to come to US for a clerkship as it needs huge expenses and takes time.

Another reason, IMGs usually begin their matching journey after arrival to US (like for doing the CS exam) and from there they look for the clerkship to enhance their ERAS application.

Nevertheless, if you are still a medical (as your profile is showing) and you are so keen about it and you have the money, then why not? it will be great and it will save you time and you'll be able to match right after graduation just like the US student here :)

The greatest website ever to look for clerkships is this
www.americlerkships.org
well what is the difference between clerkship and an elective?
i am a 3rd year indian med student. what should i be aiming for:confused::confused:?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts