USMLE Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to do clerkship in the month of July & Aug of this yr. apparently we should apply 6 months in advance to clinch a position.. now i am afraid there is no point in applying as i am only 4 months before hand.

I want clerkship position in only and only good med school.
has any one got a position with such short notice????

I am now thinking of applying 4 research elective in good medical school..instead of trying clerkship in average med school...i feel a LOR 4m a good institution is what matters. i am currently in 4th yr. still have internship left. in which i plan for a 3 month clerkship..

I wonder if i am doing the right thing?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
yeah, I agree with you
A research elective in a prestigious medical school is better than a clinical elective in an average medical school

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
But short research electives 1-2 months are not sufficient to get published...
By the way, what do you mean with average university ?
The LoR that you will get from a research elective is enough, you don't need to get a paper published, yes, it would be awesome if you have something published but again we are talking LoRs here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But short research electives 1-2 months are not sufficient to get published...
By the way, what do you mean with average university ?
By good medical schools I meant, Cornell, Mt Saini, Mayo, UNC, U Pitts, Yale, Tufts, Harvard, USLA, duke, JHU..... so by average i meant others those which don't belong to this league

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
research elective schools

yeah, I agree with you
A research elective in a prestigious medical school is better than a clinical elective in an average medical school
by the way sabio, do you know of med schools who have research elective program, apart from JHU. i know we have to apply to doctors personally, but in the med schools, having an exclusive research elective program, its much more easier to get a elective position

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
by the way sabio, do you know of med schools who have research elective program, apart from JHU. i know we have to apply to doctors personally, but in the med schools, having an exclusive research elective program, its much more easier to get a elective position
No, unfortunately am unaware of such programs, let's see if other members have ideas for you ...

-

·
Registered
546 Posts
By good medical schools I meant, Cornell, Mt Saini, Mayo, UNC, U Pitts, Yale, Tufts, Harvard, USLA, duke, JHU..... so by average i meant others those which don't belong to this league
Are You Sure ?! Tufts !! It is far a way than others in the list.
You have missed : UCSF, UCLA, Penn, UW, WU saint louis, Emory, UTSW, UAB, Michigan, Northwestern, U Chicago

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are You Sure ?! Tufts !! It is far a way than others in the list.
You have missed : UCSF, UCLA, Penn, UW, WU saint louis, Emory, UTSW, UAB, Michigan, Northwestern, U Chicago
yeh.. i know the list, i jst wanted to give u an idea by wt i meant by average..
apart 4m north western,the above said names dont offer clerkship position to international students .UAB needs fasculty sponsor.
i was enlisting those gud skls who offer clerkship position..
i know tufts isnt gud enuf.. but apparently its ivy league...
any ways it dosnt concern me now as i am applying 4 research elective rit nw

·
Registered
546 Posts
yeh.. i know the list, i jst wanted to give u an idea by wt i meant by average..
apart 4m north western,the above said names dont offer clerkship position to international students .UAB needs fasculty sponsor.
i was enlisting those gud skls who offer clerkship position..
i know tufts isnt gud enuf.. but apparently its ivy league...
any ways it dosnt concern me now as i am applying 4 research elective rit nw
Unfortunately, most of them don't provide electives for international students at all or request affliation.

BTW, Tufts is not an ivy league !!
Ivy League: Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, University of Pennsylvania, and Yale University

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately, most of them don't provide electives for international students at all or request affliation.

BTW, Tufts is not an ivy league !!
Ivy League: Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, University of Pennsylvania, and Yale University
yeh even i was doubt full about tufts.. any ways thanx 4 d information

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey guys,

Iam a final year IMG from India graduating in 2012.Iam done with 4months of reseach elective in radiology at johns hopkins & Iam going to get my name on a paper.The thing is Iam going to apply for an IM residency for 2013 match.Will my research help me in boosting my chances to get an IM residency.

Regards,
Vishwa

·
Registered
16 Posts
hello,
I am a med student in final yr (img) and will be starting with internship next yr. I want to apply for IM residency. my TOEFL score-101, usmle step-1->not yet taken, ready with all documents required for electives, am planning to apply for it from Feb to April 2013 in following universities:
Mount Sinai, north shore lij, Kansas-Wichita, Tulane, Weill Cornell, Harvard, Yale, brown, tufts.

here are my doubts:
1. do u think these universities are adequate enough to find good electives and fetch some good lors? should i find any more universities?
2. I also heard of john Hopkins research electives. is it worth applying there even if the research doesn't publish nor do i get any lors? does it count for usce? if yes, can anyone suggest me more places where i can apply for research electives.
am open to any other suggestions to my issue......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts