USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

So even though I haven't done any Qbanks or the like yet, I have looked at the USMLE site and seen that they will update the exam by adding clinical vignettes, now with some of the questions I have done and seen, I believe I find them quite hard :)) does anyone have a good way/advice/book recommendation to tackle.

I mean it could be that i still haven't got round to learning much yet, but still I'd prefer to be confident that i grasp this area

Anyway thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
As you move through medical school, you will learn more about diagnostic methods to figure out some of the questions on the usmle or in real life situations..

If you want to practice the USMLE questions yourself.. I would suggest getting an easy qbank to go though while in medical school to practice these situations/questions... The more questions you do... The better you get

I would suggest trying some pretest/BRS/USMLErx questions during med school

pick either Kaplan/World/Consult during your USMLE prep period.. Alot of students love world but its by far the hardest qbank of them all.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Finish your IM Course

If you are facing difficulty in dissecting clinical scenarios I suggest until you finish your internal medicine course in your med school.
About 80% or perhaps more of USMLE Step 1 questions revolve around common clinical scenarios and if you don't have some idea about how stuff work in the clinical environment you'll be really having hard time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but don't ameerican students take exam before their clinical years? ie after their 2nd year? is the exam really that clinical? thanks

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
US med schools start clinicals early

but don't ameerican students take exam before their clinical years? ie after their 2nd year? is the exam really that clinical? thanks
US Medical Schools are clinical oriented from day one. They give them blocks of systems (not subjects) which include clinically oriented vignettes from the beginning.
Also they take internal medicine in the second year.

Remember, US med schools are 4 years only, because they already finished 4 years of premed, so the system is extremely different from International Medical Schools.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm I see, well i guess how i'll plan it is i'll revise for a couple of months, then say try out a couple or one of the NBMEs and see how I stand.. thanks for ur advice either way

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
US Medical Schools are clinical oriented from day one. They give them blocks of systems (not subjects) which include clinically oriented vignettes from the beginning.
Also they take internal medicine in the second year.

Remember, US med schools are 4 years only, because they already finished 4 years of premed, so the system is extremely different from International Medical Schools.
Dont most International Med Schools start clinical rotations from 2nd year also? By the time I was done basic sciences (In India) I had covered Internal Medicine 2x (12 weeks each), Surgery 1x (12 weeks), Ob & Gyn 1x (12 weeks), and a handful of other minor rotations which gave me exposure..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts