USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one gets admitted to a certain residency e.g. cardiology, at both a community hospital and a university hospital, which is preferable? What are the pros and cons of each, and does it make a difference if one is ultimately going to be board certified anyway?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The example you mentioned (Cardiology) does not usually go with a community hospital.

Community hospital programs are usually mainstream service based programs with little chances of research and later on subspecialty fellowships. That's why they rank lower than University or University-affiliated programs.

If you are not looking at a subspecialty fellowship and all you care is to get the board (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry) then it doesn't really matter if you take a community based or University based residency program.

Community hospital programs usually (but not always) are more IMG friendly. They also may not be so sensitive about the age issue and they may don't mind taking old "experienced" IMGs as their primary concern is to get the job done.

Later on if you stay in America it would be more prestigous to say that you did your residency in Harvard or Stanford or any super famous University programs than the case of some unknown small community program in a small city.

This is even perhaps has an impact on your "marketability" as you'll get jobs easier if you are a graduate of a University programs though it's not a really big issue.

Having said all of this, I don't mean to say that if you go to a community program then you lose all chances of later sub-specialization. But definitely it will be more difficult.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi

I totally agree with steptaker
But I just want to remind you that there are community programs out there that are really good.
Take for example Cleveland Clinic, its a community hospital but one of the most prestigious hospitals nationwide.
can u give us a list of good community programs??? thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts