USMLE Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

As we know, pope's blessing is the look we get when our 4th and 5th digits are clawed.

Is pope's blessing due to a median nerve injury or ulnar nerve injury? Why is it that First Aid mentioned pope's blessing as the sign of median nerve injury, but also said that pope's blessing is the same as ulna claw? (FA pg 353, 354):confused:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Both Ulnar nerve and Median Nerve can cause somewhat like a Pope's blessing hand.

In Ulnar nerve injury you have loss of PIP and DIP extension and MP flexion of the 4th and 5th medial fingers so you end up having this hand
Popes Blessing Claw Hand.JPG

In Distal Median nerve injury and if the patient is asked to make a fist there will be no 1st and 2nd lumbricals to flex the lateral fingers but the ulnar nerver function still there able to flex MP and extend PIP and DIP of the 4th and 5th all the way down to the palm and you'll get this hand
Popes Blessing 02.JPG

As you can see both of these hands postures can be called a Pope's blessing. Though the name claw is usually preserved to the ulnar nerve lesion as it also cause loss of the interossei of all the digits.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh I see. :)

Another question though, in a distal median nerve lesion, according to FA's diagram (pg. 354) and the description, it says that the 2nd and 3rd digits are clawed. If patient is asked to make a fist, wouldn't that be more like a really extremely crooked blessing, rather that a straight 2nd 3rd digit with clawed 4th 5th digit (pope's blessing)?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
wouldn't that be more like a really extremely crooked blessing, rather that a straight 2nd 3rd digit with clawed 4th 5th digit (pope's blessing)?
Yeah, it would be crooked.
Personally I think they'll never ask how Pope's blessing look like or at least they should give some other information such as sensory loss, thenar/hypotherna wasting ...etc

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh, thanks for the explanations Sabio. :):) This confusion has been bugging my head for a real long time already.:p

·
Registered
46 Posts
as for kaplan qbank and the lecture notes and also the dvds ... talk about the Benediction sign (pope's blessing) as median nerve injury only ...

i think if it seen on a question without any other facilitating info's ... I'll have more predilection to Median Nerve rather than Ulnar nerve

·
Registered
14 Posts
from what I understood "and what I heard from DIT" it's 2nd and 3rd digitals what meant by Pope's blessing and it's associated with median nerve damage.

ulnar nerve damage assiciated with 4th and 5th digits and it's called Claw hand ..

isn't that right ? this is what my friends and I finally decided to memorize !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts