USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my husband are IMGs. I have heard stories of couple's being matched but personally do not know anybody who made it. so this is something like an urban legend to me.

My step 1, CK, CS scores are 98,86,pass respectively. And my husband's is 92,96,pass. Does this profile have any chance? Are the scores averaged for the both of us?

Our CVs contain 1month USCE, some publications, some US LORs. Would our credentials be taken as one, I mean are they additive? Are we still considered individually, meaning they have to like us both or are we considered a "package deal"?

Thank you very much for all of your help!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Indeed

Yours and your husband profile are not only additive, they are synergistic :)

In ERAS, there's a question asking specifically about if you are applying as a couple. And in NRMP they give preference for couple matching and you are very likely to be matched in the same place if you apply for the same specialty.

Your scores are not average. They are above average.

So yes, I strongly believe that your Couple Profile makes a strong case for matching.

Wishing you all the luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
last questions :)

In ERAS, there's a question asking specifically about if you are applying as a couple. And in NRMP they give preference for couple matching
May i just clarify this :) so i will indicate in the CAF of myERAS and in the NRMP that i am applying for the "couple's match"?

So does this mean that if me and my husband are applying for the same programs (IM), then we should get the same interview responses? And lastly, does a pre-match still apply to a couple's match?

Thank you very much for your help:)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
May i just clarify this :) so i will indicate in the CAF of myERAS and in the NRMP that i am applying for the "couple's match"?

So does this mean that if me and my husband are applying for the same programs (IM), then we should get the same interview responses? And lastly, does a pre-match still apply to a couple's match?

Thank you very much for your help:)
There's no guarantee and it does not work at the interview level, it works at the matching level. Which means that if you and your husband happen to be previously interviewed in the same program then you are likely to be matched in it (by the NRMP software) provided that both of you have been ranked by that program.

Couples matching is not working for the pre-match at least officially speaking. Because pre-match is outside the match and does not go through the NRMP software. However, it might be a good idea to indicate your wishes to the program should they offer you a pre-match and they may consider your request.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ok so couples have good chances on geting inti residency .....say for some reason wife/husband is not up to the residency qualifications but the other person is so will they turn down both of their applications ?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ok so couples have good chances on geting inti residency .....say for some reason wife/husband is not up to the residency qualifications but the other person is so will they turn down both of their applications ?
Residency programs see each spouse separately and they consider each separately. So the answer is NO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts