USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 40 year old male presents to your office after a crash diet what will be the most common presentation?

1) Vitamin deficiency
2) low weight
3) fatigue
4) malaise
5) telogen effluvium

·
Registered
625 Posts
weight loss would probably be a good effect to have as a result of a diet ;)

I agree with Dr. Seetal... I think a few more details are in order - also, do you mean alopecia as in telogen effluvium? Because wikipedia identifies it as caused by, among other things, crash diets. All of the other choices can occur as a result of diets though..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Crash diet is when u eat nothing until u get your desired weight.
i think it s telogen effluvium cuz i read it somewhere.By the way,after crash diet,some people gain their weight back. As soon as you stop the diet all your kilograms return. This happens because the metabolism in your organism has changed and your body got used to not receiving enough calories and therefore burnt lesser amount of them.Anorexia,bulimia ,kidney or liver failure,sudden death are some complications u can get from it

·
Registered
919 Posts
i have to agree then.

i got this from an article:

Telogen effluvium is a form of nonscarring alopecia characterized by diffuse hair shedding, often with an acute onset. A chronic form with a more insidious onset and a longer duration also exists.Telogen effluvium is a reactive process caused by a metabolic or hormonal stress or by medications. Generally, recovery is spontaneous and occurs within 6 months.

so since a crash diet is acute form of non-eating (weird diet), telogen effluvium occurs mainly from the scalp. so hair loss is great while on the diet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts