USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are major and minor criteria for surgery in infective endocarditis, however, it is not mentioned that how many of the major and/or minor criteria must be present in order to select the patient for surgery :confused:.

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Major are absolute, Minor are relative

If you have any of the major then it's absolute indication but for the minor things they are relative indications.

No specific rule whatsoever regarding this and even major textbooks do not mention major and minor indications.

My advice for you regarding this specific topic is to memorize only the major indication as you are very unlikely to be asked about the minor indications (that's too much detail for a CK exam).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excuse me

I am sorry lee! Would u please review ur above answer to my this thread because I can't understand it. :toosad::(

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Oh... sorry

Major means Absolute means any criterion is an absolute indication to surgery.

Minor means relative means any criterion is not absolute indication and clinical judgment needed to decide.

Of the two sets mentioned in Kaplan notes, only the major is high yield info. You won't see questions talking about the minor indications.

Did I make myself clear :redcheeks;

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me make my question clear

No sir!:toosad:

By the above thread I mean the indications not contraindications of surgery in infective endocarditis. I mean there are major criteria to select the patient for surgical correction of the valve, not the surgical operation performed on other organs.

I have 2008-9 Kaplan IM notes in my hand. If u have the same please see page 224 of infectious disease chapter!

Please reply whether I got it right as I mentioned in the above paragraph or that u r right :confused::(.

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Sorry my bad :sorry:

Just replace the term contraindications with indications in all the talk that I have been talking. My opinion is unchanged by the typo. Now you can read my replies after I corrected the typo :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts