USMLE Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hear murmur cheat sheet

VSD - Harsh holosystolic murmur heard over tricuspid area (left lower sternal border).

ASD - Mid-systolic ejection murmur heard in pulmonic area; may be accompanied by wide fixed split S2; S1 may be a bit louder.

PDA - Continuous machine-like murmur.

COA - High-pitched diastolic murmur.

AR - Diastolic murmur in upper left sternal border (precordium); early diastolic decrescendo murmur radiating to the apex; early high-pitched blowing diastolic murmur; diastolic decrescendo murmur at the right upper sternal border; wide pulse pressure; head bobbing with each heart beat; bounding pulse; often accompanied by diastolic "blowing" murmur (i.e., an aortic regurgitation murmur).

MR - Diastolic decrescendo murmur radiating to the axilla; Systolic murmur that is apical and holo- or pan-systolic radiating to left axilla; high-pitched blowing holosystolic murmur.

Mitral valve prolapse - loudest during valsalva maneuver. Midsystolic click followed by late systolic murmur.

AS - Crescendo-decrescendo mid-systolic ejection murmur radiating to the neck; weak and late pulses; harsh systolic murmur; "diamond-shaped;" may be preceded by an opening click; pulsus parvus et tardus; paradoxical splitting of S2. may be due to age-related calcified aortic valve. Young adults with bicuspid aortic valve can also have this murmur.

MS - Loud S1 + diastolic murmur heard at apex; opening snap followed by delayed, rumbling late-diastolic murmur.

PS - Crescendo-decrescendo murmur; harsh systolic murmur heard along left middle to upper sternal border.

TS - Diastolic murmur that increases with inspiration.

TR - High-pitched blowing holosystolic murmur; heard at the lower left parasternal area; varies with respiration; becomes louder with inspiration; prominent jugular pulse. (could be due to Ebstein anomaly or IV drug abuse).

Hope this helps....

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I posted this;
A q from FA; elderly with diatolic mumur radiating to axilla, fever and past hitory of recent nosocomial UTI.

I was thinking endocarditis, probably involving aorta, so AR ,,,distolic murmur. BUT radiating to axilla?? i knew about MR. but MR is PANsystolic.

@aktroque; i did not know MR can cause diastolic murmur.
Can I have the reference please?

·
Registered
487 Posts
The reason I posted this;
A q from FA; elderly with diatolic mumur radiating to axilla, fever and past hitory of recent nosocomial UTI.

I was thinking endocarditis, probably involving aorta, so AR ,,,distolic murmur. BUT radiating to axilla?? i knew about MR. but MR is PANsystolic.

@aktroque; i did not know MR can cause diastolic murmur.can i have the reference please?
This is from my class notes. I don't have any reference to give you other than my note book lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts