USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone first time post, let's see how this forum works.

I'm sad since I did not pass step 2 CS. I was above average in CIS and SEP. But did poorly in Data gathering, what actually is data gathering, I asked all the questions on the book could the Physical exam affect it? How can I do better in Data gathering? I asked all the questions I am very sure.

Any help you can give I will appreciate it, thanks

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Data gathering alone does not fail

You can't fail by data gathering only! there must have been other components that failed you.

Upload a scan of your score report and let's see it and then we can tell you how to improve yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Step 2 results

Thanks veteran for reply here is my result. Thanks for your help

Font Parallel Number Rectangle
click image to enlarge

·
Registered
546 Posts
So sorry to hear that....
I found something strange, are you AMG ??
What was your center ?
What were your resources ? Did you practice ? how many weeks did you dedicate for studying, more specific, how many hours/day...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I'm International, I studied for 1 month 4 hour- 5 days week. used FA and UW. I don't understand about data gathering I am sure I asked all questions, is it bad to ask too many questions? I think my problem was in PE maybe I did too focused. I need to decipher what is data gathering other than ask questions. Center is Houston

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can't fail by data gathering only! there must have been other components that failed you.

Upload a scan of your score report and let's see it and then we can tell you how to improve yourself.
I also failed in data gathering.....I knew I did poorly in data gathering and questioning skills even before I got the results because I "finished" each station before the 5 minute warning was called.....I guess that's what happens when you've been out of clinical practice for a year .Here is my report: (sorry about the formatting....but you can get the picture. l l are the borders.

ICE XXXXXXXXXXlXXX l

Data gathering *XXXXXXXXX l l

Patient note XXXlXXXXXXlXXXXXX

CIS XXXXlXXXXX l

Questioning skills XXXXXXXXXlXXXX l

Info. sharing skills l XXXXXlXXXXXX

Prof. man. lXXXXXXlXXXXX

SEP l l XXXXX*

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes I'm International, I studied for 1 month 4 hour- 5 days week. used FA and UW. I don't understand about data gathering I am sure I asked all questions, is it bad to ask too many questions? I think my problem was in PE maybe I did too focused. I need to decipher what is data gathering other than ask questions. Center is Houston
In Data gathering, "data" refers to any information you obtain from the patient...either through questioning the patient or examining the patient. Since you seemed pretty confident regarding the questioning, I would assume you failed this component based on your Physical examinations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks dreamer for comments. I did PE, the question is how deep I have to go in PE? I did to all abdominal and cardio, should i have done to all, Neuro? I just covered the specifics, I did focused PE to all patients.

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks dreamer for comments. I did PE, the question is how deep I have to go in PE? I did to all abdominal and cardio, should i have done to all, Neuro? I just covered the specifics, I did focused PE to all patients.
I'm not sure what exactly went wrong in your case...The score reports provided are so vague and generalized that we are only left to speculate as to where exactly we went wrong. I know people who claim to have done only focused exams and still passed....and I know people who did every examination possible in 15 minutes but failed anyway..... I even know one person who didn't even do PE's for at least 4 patients because he ran out of time...and guess what...he passed.
What confuses me though, is how can we fail data gathering yet still be able to compile patient notes that have , at the very least,been deemed satisfactory by the physicians who are grading it. That boggles the mind.
I wish the step 2 CS was done like the PLAB exam in the UK, where a physician was in the room with you and the patient the entire time....maybe then it would be a bit more objective.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey i got my score report today too and failed in data gathering as well :(
i dont know what im going to do now
i took my test on Jan 8 in LA and ive done 4 observerships just in the last year each 2 months!
ill upload my score report too
any advice on how to handle this tough situation is much appreciated guys :-/

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also failed in data gathering.....I knew I did poorly in data gathering and questioning skills even before I got the results because I "finished" each station before the 5 minute warning was called.....I guess that's what happens when you've been out of clinical practice for a year .Here is my report: (sorry about the formatting....but you can get the picture. l l are the borders.

ICE XXXXXXXXXXlXXX l

Data gathering *XXXXXXXXX l l

Patient note XXXlXXXXXXlXXXXXX

CIS XXXXlXXXXX l

Questioning skills XXXXXXXXXlXXXX l

Info. sharing skills l XXXXXlXXXXXX

Prof. man. lXXXXXXlXXXXX

SEP l l XXXXX*
I am in the opposite side ......I failed in ICE.
Data gathering is in intermediate performance and My Patient notes are in a very, very low performance.
I do not know how my and your situation can occur??

I also failed in SEP with a result near intermediate performance..

USMLE must provide a clear view how this assessment is run. I apply again but till now i do not know how to study because i do not know my cause of failing in my last attempt.

They must provide us in details how PNs are marked .How data gathering is assesed .This is our rights we pay 1355 $for an exam and we do not it's method of assesment.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I failed in Data too

I read we failed because we did not do a focused exam, this means do not do non essential exams

for most patients you will do
Chest
Heart
Abd

but do not do a Neuro Heent exam on Abd pain

Do do GYN history on Female 13 to 50 with Abd

Do do a DTR and Muscle strength on hip pain and gait

Most important is the History and review of systems, focused on CC.

Focused if you look disorganized you fail. :sleepy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
so dont do cardio and pulmonary routine on every case?
some cases will just require one exam like a complete neuro..is there any point of doing the other exams too?

·
Registered
281 Posts
so dont do cardio and pulmonary routine on every case?
some cases will just require one exam like a complete neuro..is there any point of doing the other exams too?
just about every case:
Chest = Breathsounds ( do not do fremitus every case)
Heart= Heart sounds all three spots on front, May do carotids but not necessary for every case.

It's clear in First Aid for CS
If you do not have a copy, to me it doesn't seem to matter a lot which year, then get one.
These things are covered 100% in the book

I have studied and now look back to what I did and I should not have passed ( I failed x1) now I think I get it, focused exam.

For example

ABD pain, dont do a HEENT exam focus on Abd assessment, do do a Psoas and obturator exam. Women 13 to 50 ask menses gyn hx

you have time for chest, heart, abd in most cases.

Focus!

·
Registered
281 Posts

I have to disagree:

US student
Sucked on Data gathering hence failed.

Rest was good

If you ,miss on data gathering ( Questions and assessments) your note will be less and not enough.

I see this as essential that you at least perform the focused exams you need to write the note and support DX's

Remember you are being recorded, what you say and do, it is then reviewed and considered for your score, this is why it takes 3 months to get it back.

CS is never rescored Pass after a fail,

In fact the USMLE as far as I know, has never rescored any of the steps a Pass when someone fails.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dear all

It would be useful if you could post more about your study methods (simulate cases with family members, reading first aid, online courses such as CSEvideo etc) and any special focuses on your study before posting! It would be useful also, if you could post how many years you had from graduation and what mistakes you think you did!

Us, prospective CS takers would really appreciate this!

·
Registered
47 Posts
just about every case:
Chest = Breathsounds ( do not do fremitus every case)
Heart= Heart sounds all three spots on front, May do carotids but not necessary for every case.

It's clear in First Aid for CS
If you do not have a copy, to me it doesn't seem to matter a lot which year, then get one.
These things are covered 100% in the book

I have studied and now look back to what I did and I should not have passed ( I failed x1) now I think I get it, focused exam.

For example

ABD pain, dont do a HEENT exam focus on Abd assessment, do do a Psoas and obturator exam. Women 13 to 50 ask menses gyn hx

you have time for chest, heart, abd in most cases.

Focus!
I failed SEP with high fail because i was irritable and this made me did a lot of grammer mistakes and two patients said : i do not understand (my sound was low) .If you become irritable and anxious you can do like this even with your mother language.

I did a focused exam but in many cases i was disorganized ..i did not examine one case.

PN was the cause of failing in the ICE component ...May be because i wrote some exams : normal despite i forgot to do it .It was unintended...

The Magic word : Be calm...Be calm ....act as a real doctor

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took My 2nd CS attemp

Hi
I took my second Cs attemp in Mid july and have done this:

-Did not do closing or councelling in 4 or at least 3 cases(running out of time)the proctor came and drag me out of the room in all these cases.
-many cases i did not do councelling in about 6-8 cases.
-did not reach to diagnosis in 1 case and i was not sure about my diagnosis in another one.
- My feet hit the examination table with a loud sound and i did not even say sorry.
-Did not ask Menstrual history in one or two female cases.
-2 or 3 cases i took pauses when i was asking the patient.I stopped and thought while I was looking to the patient.
-Give one wrong diagnosis to a mother of child.
- I did not complete PNs in all cases ...about half of them I missed past Histroy,Social history ,allergy surgical history ,Surgical hx,Sex hx.
-I missed many positive data in HPI.
-write wrong first diagnosis in 1 or 2 cases PN.
-I torn two gloves in 2 cases and tell the the patient i changed my mind and washed my hands.
-Did not do auscultation of heart and chest in 4 cases .
-Write wrong chest auscultation data in one case.

May be i have done more ...But i am sure that i did this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts