USMLE Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended a lecture given by a program director at Tufts University in Boston.
Here's what he said;
Dear IMGs, I appreciate your ambition and I know that you are real hard workers. You are very lucky that we called you today for an interview because we have increased our medical school admission this year again. We will be filled with our medical school grads and we no longer be looking at IMG applications next year or maximum the year after.

So my IMG colleagues, if you are dreaming about a university match after two years I advise you to give up that dream.

So sad, but it's absolutely the reality :(

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah, everybody is talking about that.
But you know what I think that PD is wrong

Yes, they increased med school admissions but at the same time there should be an exponential increase in residency positions specially in primary care branches.

The increased American grads will not match the increased demand and therefore I think they will still need IMGs :p

·
Registered
546 Posts
I attended a lecture given by a program director at Tufts University in Boston.
Here's what he said;
Dear IMGs, I appreciate your ambition and I know that you are real hard workers. You are very lucky that we called you today for an interview because we have increased our medical school admission this year again. We will be filled with our medical school grads and we no longer be looking at IMG applications next year or maximum the year after.

So my IMG colleagues, if you are dreaming about a university match after two years I advise you to give up that dream.

So sad, but it's absolutely the reality :(
It is just about Tufts. The problem in this Univ that they think that they are exceptional & overestimate themselves. The another thing, Harvard's situation next to them, make them nill :p !!
I swear it is much more inferior to my ambition.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is just about Tufts. The problem in this Univ that they think that they are exceptional & overestimate themselves. The another thing, Harvard's situation next to them, make them nill :p !!
I swear it is much more inferior to my ambition.
It's not about Tufts or Harvard or any other.
It's a trend that is booming day after day.
You will see it yourself, come to this thread after two years and am sure you will tell me I was right.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You will see it yourself, come to this thread after two years and am sure you will tell me I was right.
Dear Ambrogio, i am sure that if you can get 260 and 260 in two USMLE steps and apply with 3-4 US publications and LORs.. then surely you will get interview :)) :)) .. dont lose hope !......

·
Registered
274 Posts
1 PD doesnt equate all PDs in the country. I had a few friends who are IMG match into several Univ progs, including surgery. Remember its the whole package, and its not even scores. There are many people with 99s going unmatched and yet I see people with 77s who are able to sell themselves well and match! Things like wording, spelling and how well written LORs and PS that folks take for granted, even IV skills are all very high up there.

Its amazing how many people let 1 comment from 1 person dictate what and how they proceed. I have a family member who was a PD for a Univ peds prog for several years, I know several IMG friends who went through his prog and I guarantee you they graduated ages ago and had attempts on boards!

Be confident and believe in yourself or noone else will.

Reactions: tanaks

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
thanks sir! you may be right but that is minus me! since time memorial things have been getting increasingly tough. but still God makes way where there seems to be no way!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, everybody is talking about that.
But you know what I think that PD is wrong

Yes, they increased med school admissions but at the same time there should be an exponential increase in residency positions specially in primary care branches.

The increased American grads will not match the increased demand and therefore I think they will still need IMGs :p
Can you explain more on the increased demand you mentioned ? And how will it affect IMGs, and what specialties are expected to require greater demand ?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well, that's exactly shy I started http://www.usmle-forums.com/img-fmg-forum/20441-img-fmg-perspectives-match-2015-2016-a.html yesterday. Could you please explain, what's a University Match? (Yeah-yeah, I'm the new guy here) What other types pf match are there available, and, what exactly does the closure of University Match means for IMG's?
university-based programs/residencies (university match) are those with university/schools along with their institution/hospital. obviously, they would prefer their own grads or other US university grads rather than imgs. so for imgs, it would be a waste of money to apply to university-based programs, not unless you're truly exceptional 260+ both scores, 5+ publications or the PD is your buddy.:D but there's a few university programs that are img friendly though, you just have to look for it.:eek:
for imgs, its much cost efficient to apply to community-based or community-based w/ univ affiliation programs.
hope this helps.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts