USMLE Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
55 year old overweight man is told by his doctor to lose weight. He decides to undertake a rigorous exercise program. On his first day out, he has jogged for 15 minutes when he experiences the sudden onset of chest pain. Fortunately, the chest pain is relieved by rest. His doctor performs an EKG and tells him that he has myocardial ischemia. What is the most correct definition of ischemia?

A- Lumenal narrowing by vasospasm
B- Increased activity leading to infarction
C- Hypoxia secondary to decreased blood supply
D- Irreversible necrosis

·
Registered
247 Posts
For me its C : Its due to myocardia tissue hypoxia secondary to decrease blood supply due to atheresclerosis ....
points in favour .
1. he is obes, so atheresclerosis ( pain develop when occlude 70% or more )
2. releived by rest means stable angina , so its not necrosis

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me its C : Its due to myocardia tissue hypoxia secondary to decrease blood supply due to atheresclerosis ....
points in favour .
1. he is obes, so atheresclerosis ( pain develop when occlude 70% or more )
2. releived by rest means stable angina , so its not necrosis
I like the way you analyze things ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
55 year old overweight man is told by his doctor to lose weight. He decides to undertake a rigorous exercise program. On his first day out, he has jogged for 15 minutes when he experiences the sudden onset of chest pain. Fortunately, the chest pain is relieved by rest. His doctor performs an EKG and tells him that he has myocardial ischemia. What is the most correct definition of ischemia?

A- Lumenal narrowing by vasospasm
B- Increased activity leading to infarction
C- Hypoxia secondary to decreased blood supply
D- Irreversible necrosis
I will say answer is C.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts