USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reassure, that there is a treatment,once we have adequately ruled out all the other causes responsible for making him/ her feel this way, For which we have to run the tests like thyroid function tests, blood tests to rule out anemia, stool examination, ...etc.
Also, the way you feeling is simply a part of disease process that has a treatment (pt is guilty and feels hopeless about his/her situation has to be encouraged)
Determine the risk of suicide, once ascertained has to be told that you might have to stay with us for a while till we make sure you are safe to go back home (though we cannot discuss admission and treatment modality and are neither suppose to write in patient note other than investigations, but saying this line points out that you are aware of risks of letting depressed patient go home)
Ask for suicide contract.
Refer to socials service in case has issues to take care of.
Refer to psychologist for therapy.
Again let the SP know that from now on he/she is not alone in this and would make sure that they get help in every way they want, and should be encouraged to contact you whenever they feel the need for....
I have prepared counselings for other cases too on similar lines that make sure that when u end a case, the SP realizes your preparedness and gives you a pass regardless.... Also prepared the answers for all the challenging questions a SP might ask....
If you want my exclusive notes contact me on accurate777(skype ID)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip
Can I ask you What is suicide contract!
it is a part protocol in management for depression where by you have to talk about the person signing a document that mentions that he/ she confirms that they would ask for help if they get the thoughts for suicide, this is one of the measure to ensure the patients is safe once they have been suspected to be under the risk of suicide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts