USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Kaplan qbank question is saying that the best diagnostic test in a patient with hemochromatosis is testing for the C282Y mutation!
Do you agree with that, what about liver biopsy (which is mentioned in their notes) :notsure:

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, this is what I found in "Master the Boards": best initial test is elevated serum iron and ferritin levels with a low TIBC, iron sat > 45%.
Most accurate test: liver biopsy. However, and MRI of the liver and the specific genetic test, the HFe gene (C282Y) mutation, in combination are sufficiently diagnostic to spare the patient a liver biopsy.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is master the boards OK!

Thank you Dempsey, that makes sense.

But, are you reading Master the Boards Step 3 for the CK prep! Is it a good book of CK :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I really like it because it's sometimes more straight forward than the Kaplan notes as far as "the best initial step" or "most accurate test". I feel that in the Kaplan notes they tell you all of the possible diagnostic tests, but sometimes they don't specify which one to answer in the question. I read somewhere that there is a Master the Boards for Step 2 CK in the works, but I don't know when it's going to be available. Hope it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts