USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I registered first, I typed my first and last name as Mohammad Gad, but my full name is MOHAMMAD ABDELWAHHAB HEMEDA GAD on my passport and medical diploma and transcript, so what's the best should I do? send a letter from the dean affirming that the name on the document "photocopy of my passport" and the name in ECFMG record belong to one and the same person?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
You need to submit form 182

No, since your name is exactly similar in your Diploma, Transcript, and Passport and the only difference is the ECFMG record then you need to submit Form 182.

Download it here
http://www.ecfmg.org/forms/form182.pdf

Read the instructions in it carefully and also send them supporting documents such as a copy of your passport.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But hey, i didn't change my name legally to send form 182, in ECFMG booklet of information 2011 it's said if my name in ECFMG record doesn't exactly match the name on my passport or credentials, i can send a letter signed by the dean affirming that i'm the same person, what's ur say?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Let me clarify further

If there's a difference between your med school papers and your other legal documents (passport) then your dean can write a letter.

But this is not the case with you. Your case is that your passport and med school papers have the same name, your dean has nothing to do for you.

You should contact the ECFMG and tell them that you have been (WRONG) when you registered and you want to change your name in their records. The way to do that is by Form 182.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sorry StepTaker,

I have asked ECFMG personally about this issue,
They don't care about middle name if it (they consider everything between first & last name as a middle name.
Even I gave them an example :
If my ECFMG records :
First name : John Sami (since you put your father's name in the first name)
Last name : Cena

Whereas your name in Diploma is : John Sami George Cena

ECFMG will not make a problem & consider them the same.
So MidoUSMLE you don't need to change your name !!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Better to change it

Sorry StepTaker, ...
You don't need to apologize! we are all here to help each other and am glad you brought another idea.
However, I still think it's safer that he changes his records in the ECFMG, the ECFMG records will stay with him for the rest of his career in USA and it's a good idea to have it straightened out even though he has no problem.
In addition, the process of changing it is not cumbersome, just send Form 182 and they'll do it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My name in ECFMG record is : Family name/surname: Gad, Firstname/last name or initial: Mohammad. my name on the passport is MOHAMMAD ABDELWAHHAB HEMEDA GAD. And when i ask my school to translate my medical diploma and transcript, i will ask them to write my name the same as on my passport.
So, are you sure, Goodboy, it's fine?? i didn't type any middle names of mine after my first name in the first name/middle name or initial space, Are you sure? please, i'm confused, and ECFMG drives me nut.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Similar Problem

Hello:Hello:

Thank you all, for making this process easier to all of us confused IMG's all around the world!!!hank you all, for making this process easier to all of us confused IMG's all around the world!!!

I have a similar problem, I have different names on my passport and documents and on my medical diploma, this is because I have 2 citizenships, and 2 birth certificates, the only difference is that in the mexican certificate I have 2 last names, and I have a slight difference in my ECFMG account. have a similar problem, I have different names on my passport and documents and on my medical diploma, this is because I have 2 citizenships, and 2 birth certificates, the only difference is that in the mexican certificate I have 2 last names, and I have a slight difference in my ECFMG account.
ECFMG Ac: Mary A. Smith Mex C: Mary Anne Smith Torres American C: Mary Anne Smith.....

So what should I do, I'm am in the process of Step 1 application, so I have not yet submited my 186 form. Should I send the 182 and change it to the legal american complete name: Mary Anne Smith, and send a letter from the dean, validating the diploma??? I would really like to have my complete name on my records???

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My name in ECFMG record is Mohammad Gad, and on my passport and medical diploma Mohammad Abdelwahhab Hemeda Gad. I didn't have to send form 182 because the middle name/names can be dropped.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you better use your American passport. The Mexican one comprises 2 last names which violates the terms of ECMFG, to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you!

Ok so I called ECFMG, and they said that they know that in mexico they issue the diploma with 2 last names, so that isn't an issue for them, and if I wanted to send the 182 form to have my complete name on my records it would be up to me.

Thank you for your answers, it helps me see a little light in the middle of such insecurity!!!:):):):)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I called ECFMG, and they said that they know that in mexico they issue the diploma with 2 last names, so that isn't an issue for them, and if I wanted to send the 182 form to have my complete name on my records it would be up to me.

Thank you for your answers, it helps me see a little light in the middle of such insecurity!!!:):):):)
You're most welcome :):):)

·
Registered
10 Posts
i kinda hav da same prob

hi..
my passport name and da name i put on da ecfmg certification are also different.I hav 2 citizenships so 2 passports.On both the passports my name is Zohra Sarfraz Chaudhry.this is my legal name my birth certificate and almost every legal document have this name so i put this name on the ecfmg site.
But da name on my medical diploma is just Zohra Sarfraz and i stil have to send my application form for step1. So what shud i do?? :( do i need a verification letter from my dean??
would really appreciate some help..thanx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Response to i kinda hav da same prob

Ok so help me understand, the name you have on your medical certificate is missing Chaudhry, is this your middle name and why doesn't your medical certificate have it? If it is your middle name, ECFMG doesn't have a problem with that, and from my experience they are tolerant with format from others countries. If everything else is the same I don't think that will be a problem!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok so help me understand, the name you have on your medical certificate is missing Chaudhry, is this your middle name and why doesn't your medical certificate have it? If it is your middle name, ECFMG doesn't have a problem with that, and from my experience they are tolerant with format from others countries. If everything else is the same I don't think that will be a problem!
Yes.Its missing chaudhry which is my family name.My high school result card was missing chaudhry as wel.A mistake they made then but i din really care then cuz i thought it wasnt a big deal but now i realize it is.Wel now my name cannot be changed on my medical diploma :(....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you need send form 182, or send a dean's letter affirming that the person whose name is on the medical diploma is the same one whose name is in the passport. Contact ECFMG. Read ECFMG booklet of information. Last name matters. Middle name/names doesn't/don't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think that the letter from your dean is your best option, since it is your Family name, and that name is correct on all the rest of your documents.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts