USMLE Forums banner

DIT - worth it or not?

9K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Neelofer 
#1 ·
i have 30 days to give my exam.target score - 200+.
my story so far -
i did kaplan videos and notes,Kaplan qbank 1/2 completion,
FA once,Presently doing uworld about 15 blocks down scores are around 54-65%.
4weeks back Nbme5 - 300/175
2 weeks back Nbme6 - 300/175
yesterday Uwsa2 - 440/204 (this one under predicts my 20 i assume)

so my question is - is doing DIT worth it(forget the money aspect - lets talk value to taking my scores up given the time frame i have)?

also if someone has done DIT,can they please tell me what structure of study do they have.is it do a certain number of videos + read FA + Uworld blocks.? and in what way do the videos actually help?

cause i figure using the time i have well is more important.if the videos help me in memory im all for it.but if its not then i would rather read FA on my own and continue doing uworld (but would than make me cross 200 in a months time? )

i hope i could point out my queries about DIT and my exam in general, well enough.and i appreciate everyone taking time out of their busy schedules to comment.good day.

See less See more
#5 ·
dit

Good. The program says its a 15 day one....I personally could not do it in 15d as there are probably 5hrs of lectures and there are quizzes during the lecture. I try to annotate in FA as I look at the lectures. Ideally Dr Jenkins advises to do 50 ques a day, I could not squeeze it in and so my questions lapsed. However after the dit, I restarted the questions and saw the difference. So, for me it took most of my day but I am not as young and agile as I was in med school so I'm sure you would move faster.
Now I only had 1 month to work with....so you will be fine!

Again, I am surprised people dont talk about DIT much but some kind med students introduced me to it since this was what made the difference to them passing vs failing and I hope it does the same for me...and you.

Dont think of it as "video watching"...think of it as gaining your FA knowledge.
My biggest problem was in getting comfortable with FA....so this is why it helped me so much.

#7 ·
DIT

No probs.
Do as much of it as you can. My exam is next month so I'm on the final stretch. 30 days is a lot of time! Don't be intimidated by the views of people sitting and studying for 6 months....I would forget all I read after a certain time.
This is crunch time and its not about how much time....but how effective you use your time.
To encourage you....I took time off work for 3 mths only for this exam...along with 9 other of my colleagues. We all graduated over 10 yrs ago and 6 have written the exam using DIT with decent scores and already matched!

Dont give up....eye on the prize....focus on FA and ques at this point! You can always email me if you have ques.

#9 ·
No probs.
Do as much of it as you can. My exam is next month so I'm on the final stretch. 30 days is a lot of time! Don't be intimidated by the views of people sitting and studying for 6 months....I would forget all I read after a certain time.
This is crunch time and its not about how much time....but how effective you use your time.
To encourage you....I took time off work for 3 mths only for this exam...along with 9 other of my colleagues. We all graduated over 10 yrs ago and 6 have written the exam using DIT with decent scores and already matched!

Dont give up....eye on the prize....focus on FA and ques at this point! You can always email me if you have ques.
haha thanks rooroo. congrats to your colleagues and hopefully in a months time we will be congratulating each other about this exam.definitely man i will surely email you k.thanks.

#8 ·
Hey samren...Sorry I was out....Just saw your msg.

So Yes I started it so many times and had to give up cos in the beginning I thought its so boring...But then I pushed myself and did it.Trust me I found so many thing which I never heard of before...But the best thing about it is that they tell you the high yield stuff.and add things which are not in FA and even UWorld.

When I did it, It helped me go over 10 points.SO I would definitely recommend it.But try to play it with VLC and with faster speed.Cos you don't want to be sitting there for hours listening to it.Just play it with faster speed and go normal if you need you don't know something and its important.

The rest is just FA , but their visual mnemonics and daily reviews make things stick to your brain.

Give it a try

Wish You the best.1 Month is enough time to get to 200.My exam in 3 days.
I will let you know about the exam as well.My NMBE scores are very risky passing.

Regards

#10 ·
no problem doc4step1.everyone on here is busy keeping up with their studying schedules especially when they are 3 days away ..lol..

yeah i dont like reading from a book too much either.i prefer studying from videos and charts.
will do man.i think if i can stick with it and atleast do the topics they have laid out for each day - that will help in someway.im actually getting excited cause im starting it tomoro.

oh best of luck for your exam.i clearly dont have any words of wisdom to share with you before your exam other than the basic think your sitting at home and doing uworld blocks so its not very stressful.you have put in the work.your on your last lap now.

i appreciate the time taken by everyone on here to send a reply.thanks.

#13 ·
Hello
I have been trying to get DIT but it took up lots of time and i still dont have it!!

Planing to take the test 2nd week april.. Had 200 score on NBME 6.. Should i keep looking for DIT or stick with just goljan audio and FA? Plus my notes and UW ( which im still not done with and average correct 55%)

Thank you in advance for your advice and i'd appreciate it much...

#14 ·
I think you should definitely do it, if u have some time, or just try to do atleast 2 topics daily, doing each topic at a stretch , just watch it. Basically its just FA, but when u watch it, u'll come across various things u didnt get while reading first time around or u didnt even care to learn or read properly. It really helps boost up some confidence on FA atleast. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.