USMLE Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all fellow members,

I am studying the Diuretics pharmacology, explained excellently by Dr.Lionel Raymon. Its so refreshing to see how he is explaining not only the mechanism of the action of the drug but also how the side effects can be understood so well.

However, i am wondering if we should know the mechanism of side effects as well? I mean even though its easy to say yeah now i know the mechanism, it will be rather difficult to remember it for a long time and not to get confused. Will it suffice if i stick up a table with drugs, their MOA and Side effects and just learn them accordingly? Will this help me with the questions in the exams?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well, most of the time, it's enough to know where each diuretic act, and what SEs they have. But you can't trust the examiner! May be he/she is in the mood for asking why acetazolamide causes hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis? Or why spironolactone can cause gynecomastia?

So try to know everything if you have the time. I actually find the 3-page section of FA on diuretics to be enough. I think it says everything, mostly. So do the Kaplan notes with Dr Raymon once, and move on to FA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello, my friend , has just passed step 1 , and he recommend koljan pharmacology becuz it's more detailed , and he always says :stay in the green zone. so if u have time , i suggest a more detailed notes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for your responses.

And yes Haisook, if they are going to frame questions your style, i better study everything very well. Love your questions brother! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is the mechanism of gynecomastia with Spironolactone just that it's an antiandrogen or is it more complicated than that?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the mechanism of gynecomastia with Spironolactone just that it's an antiandrogen or is it more complicated than that?
From what i understood from the lectures, its a non-selective steroidal drug hence its antiandrogenic activity.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks. :) I found the answer. Spironolactone inhibits steroid (testosterone) from binding to it's receptor. That's also why it can be used in PCOS to help with hirsutism. Women with PCOS have increased testosterone because of theca cell hyperplasia from increased LH. It's pg. 495 - 496 FA. I think I need to read FA more carefully!

·
Registered
752 Posts
And yes Haisook, if they are going to frame questions your style, i better study everything very well. Love your questions brother! :)
Thanks. Although I have fun writing the questions, I wouldn't want to see a lot of such ones in the exam! Standing behind gunfire is way different from standing in front of it! :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts