USMLE Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TACGATCATAT is an oligonucleotide probe used to construct a cDNA library to study the transcriptome of genetically modified mice.
Which of the following coding strands will correctly hybridize with the probe in question?

A- TACGATCATAT
B- ATATGATCGTA
C- AUGCUAGUAUA
D- GCATATACGCG
E- AUAUGAUCGUA

·
Registered
919 Posts
yep yep B

definitely. thats what i did. cDNA, then:) find its hybrid and reverse it because the end result (even for primer design) must always be shown in the sense strand (5' to 3') fashion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the correct one is answer B:

since they don't specify, you assume that the sequences are written in a 5'-3' direction. The hibridizing (binding) segment to that oligonucleotide should be complementary to it, thus it should be 3'-ATGCTAGTATA-5'. But since they write it on a 5'-3' direction, you have to reverse it. Thus it becomes 5'- ATATGATCGTA-3', answer B.

Does it make sense?

TACGATCATAT is an oligonucleotide probe used to construct a cDNA library to study the transcriptome of genetically modified mice.
Which of the following coding strands will correctly hybridize with the probe in question?

A- TACGATCATAT
B- ATATGATCGTA
C- AUGCUAGUAUA
D- GCATATACGCG
E- AUAUGAUCGUA

·
Registered
919 Posts
yes ely83

I think the correct one is answer B:

since they don't specify, you assume that the sequences are written in a 5'-3' direction. The hibridizing (binding) segment to that oligonucleotide should be complementary to it, thus it should be 3'-ATGCTAGTATA-5'. But since they write it on a 5'-3' direction, you have to reverse it. Thus it becomes 5'- ATATGATCGTA-3', answer B.

Does it make sense?
yes ely. that's what i meant. reverse it!!:) awesome. we're at par.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts