USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to graduate from an Indian medical school on September 1, 2011. I'm going to take the CS in March and the CK in June or July so the exam part will be done but I won't get my diploma until September 1st. I have some questions. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice.

1) Will this graduation be in time for the 2012 residency match? (Can I get ECFMG certified in time to apply for the match? What date should I aim to be ECFMG certified by?)

2) Is there a way to start the process of ECFMG certification without a diploma besides what I did when I applied for the USMLE steps?

3) Also, I'm from California so I'd like to apply for the PTAL as well. Can I start the application now while I'm still a medical student?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Answers

To maximize the number of interviews that you will get you must be ECFMG certified by September 1st, there's a question in ERAS that asks about your ECFMG status.

There's no way to be ECFMG certified without having a Diploma.

Your chances are not zero% without ECFMG certificate on September, you still have a descent chance specially if you have good USMLE scores.

Yes. You can apply for PTAL, for more info read here http://www.usmle-forums.com/residen...ds/2114-california-letter-ptal-how-apply.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answers. I have a few more questions. Is it possible to apply on ERAS for residency after September 1st (after I'm ECFMG certified) or would that take a really long time?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
It's recommended to register in ERAS early

You can apply to ERAS anytime you like from mid July until mid February. Application to ERAS does not take long time and you can finish it in one hour online.
However, it's recommended that your register in ERAS early so that you upload your letters of recommendations a process which may take as long as 4 weeks.
Also, early ERAS application gives you a chance to finish writing your CV, personal statements, ...etc
Also, early ERAS application give you the chance to search programs and select them ...etc
So that then when you get your ECFMG certificate, you just check it in ERAS and immediately apply to programs without wasting more time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts