USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i am an old graduate (2000), needing visa, no US exp or US LOR 91/97/pass all 1st attempt applied late in october as i was waiting for results, no single interview in ped or IM does it worth to apply next year or to try to have some US exp or it is going to be a waste of time and money? really depressed being treated as expired for my YOG

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
My honest opinion

I am really sorry to learn that you did not get any interview.

Let me be honest with you.

I don't think you'll be having a better chance next year unless you do the following:

Do USCE, in the form of hands-on experience.
Get very strong US LoRs.
Make connections with program directors and residencies so that they themselves take you into their program.

·
Registered
37 Posts
don't give up!

I am like you ( graduate 2000) but still preparing for step 1. I believe man does not lose due to any experience... he loses if he does not pass through it. loss of money and effort does not cause regret as they can be compensated.. What really causes regret is feeling that you missed a chance...
believe me, you will be satisfied if you do your best (whether you get matched or not).. but if you give up now, you will blame yourself for rest of your life.
Do USCE and fight till the end. Maybe, circumstances will change next years.. Who knows??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your good words i really appreciate your support and i really love this job and believe that i can give more than anyone can expect and it upsets and hurts me a lot when no one can feel that and use the year of graduation as an evaluation tool without giving me a chance even to an interview then the decision of acceptance or rejection will be on a real bases than judging someone they didnt even see

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks for your good words i really appreciate your support and i really love this job and believe that i can give more than anyone can expect and it upsets and hurts me a lot when no one can feel that and use the year of graduation as an evaluation tool without giving me a chance even to an interview then the decision of acceptance or rejection will be on a real bases than judging someone they didnt even see
I'd like to know about the programs you have applied for .. Do you think you have really applied at suitable programs? I mean we, as old graduates, do not have good chances at competitive programs.. but what about low-profile community programs ?? My "matched" friends say these hospitals welcome doctors with some experience !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i called all these programs i applied for and i applied only to those i am meeting their criteria regarding year of grad., scores, usce and visa whether community or university programs but i applied somehow late in early november. i am trying now to do some usce i hope i can get it so i can make use of the time to improve my cv till the next season. do you think trying to change my speciality is a -ve point?

·
Registered
37 Posts
pls explain this terms usce/elective.....

I am really sorry to learn that you did not get any interview.

Let me be honest with you.

:

Do USCE, in the form of hands-on experience.
hello sabio ,every time i see this terms it feel more n more confused .pls elaborate on this terms 1)USCE 2)HANDS ON EXPERIENCE 3)EXTERNSHIP
4)OBSEVERSHIP 5)CLERICALSHIP 6)ELECTIVE
pls help me ,i found out that obsevership is where u are allowed to see the doc do to patient u r not allowed to touch patient.
externship is where u can examine the patient under the guidance of attending doctor and do notes.
clericalship is what only the allowed to med student not to grad ,i think its same as observership.
USCE is it a different term or common term for obser/extern-ship or anything else added to the list.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
hello sabio ,every time i see this terms it feel more n more confused .pls elaborate on this terms 1)USCE 2)HANDS ON EXPERIENCE 3)EXTERNSHIP
4)OBSEVERSHIP 5)CLERICALSHIP 6)ELECTIVE
pls help me ,i found out that obsevership is where u are allowed to see the doc do to patient u r not allowed to touch patient.
externship is where u can examine the patient under the guidance of attending doctor and do notes.
clericalship is what only the allowed to med student not to grad ,i think its same as observership.
USCE is it a different term or common term for obser/extern-ship or anything else added to the list.
Please read here
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usce-cl...ology-externship-observership-difference.html
-
-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts