1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
As I understand u need form 172 to obtain an official usmle transcript
my question is
should one apply for the transcript after passing steps 1 and 2 CK and CS ie all 3 exams. And can it be sent to yourself or it must be a third party/organization??
thanks!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
You can send it to yourself but you need to contact the FSMB (not the ECFMG) in order to get that.

You asked (should we get it). I don't think you need it. You will need it when you contact state medical boards for licensing and in that case you don't send it to yourself (as they will not accept it from you), you will ask the FSMB to send it to them.

For official information visit this page
http://www.usmle.org/transcripts/

-

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello everyone
As I understand u need form 172 to obtain an official usmle transcript
my question is
should one apply for the transcript after passing steps 1 and 2 CK and CS ie all 3 exams. And can it be sent to yourself or it must be a third party/organization??
thanks!
Hey add1,

I just got personal copies of my transcript but you don't really need a personal copy for the residency application.

You can apply for it once you have cleared any of the exams..even just Step 1 or step 2.. if you cleared all three except Step 3 apply with ECFMG.

It can be sent to yourself and you can get upto 10 copies with each payment.

Mine took nearly 4 weeks to arrive from the day I sent the application.

I hope this helps you..GL!

·
Banned
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man! thats great
what did u write in the field that
says 'organization'? or did u
just leave it blank?
Can you also tell me what it includes?
does it contain just the scores
with the official letterhead of usmle?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks man! thats great
what did u write in the field that
says 'organization'? or did u
just leave it blank?
Can you also tell me what it includes?
does it contain just the scores
with the official letterhead of usmle?
LOL! :p

Ahem.. Im not a man..

To answer your questions:

I left the organisation field blank.
It is a single page with official letter head , your name , ID, DOB, test dates and results (pass/fail) and scores. There is no graph or comparision like the score report.

Let me know if you need any more info man!! :D

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm a little confused here. Might seem like a stupid question, but here goes.

So for the whole residency application process (including whatever you do in ERAS/NRMP and all that), you dont need to get the usmle transcripts yourself, and the ECFMG automatically uploads them for you?

If that is true, then when exactly and for what purpose might we need to get the transcripts personally, or get them sent to a third party?

(I'm only applying next year, hence the newb-ness :-D)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm a little confused here. Might seem like a stupid question, but here goes.

So for the whole residency application process (including whatever you do in ERAS/NRMP and all that), you dont need to get the usmle transcripts yourself, and the ECFMG automatically uploads them for you?

If that is true, then when exactly and for what purpose might we need to get the transcripts personally, or get them sent to a third party?

(I'm only applying next year, hence the newb-ness :-D)
Yes - ECFMG sends your transcript to the programs you have applied to, so you don't need a personal copy to apply for residency.

The personal copy may be needed when you apply for observerships/ externships etc , i.e if the hospital asks for the transcript.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.