USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,
im preparing for step1. I have heard about this Doctors in Training videos. How are those videos?is it better than kaplan videos? and does it really provide high yield topics as mentioned in the website? is it worth subscribing? If it is good how should i make use of the videos..in the sense how should i study along with the videos?

thanks..

·
Registered
146 Posts
hello everyone,
im preparing for step1. I have heard about this Doctors in Training videos. How are those videos?is it better than kaplan videos? and does it really provide high yield topics as mentioned in the website? is it worth subscribing? If it is good how should i make use of the videos..in the sense how should i study along with the videos?

thanks..
DIT is very good but dont make the mistake of substituting it in place of Kaplan or some other review source. As the DIT guy says, DIT is to be used in your final month, after going over all your other review sources. DIT's main purpose is not so much to teach you things or explain things, but to point you towards the High Yield points you want to remember for the exam, and give you catchy ways of memorizing it.

Can you substitute DIT for Kaplan? NO. Kaplan helps you learn the key concepts that are necessary to do well. Should you do DIT? I highly recommend it, but only towards the end (final month or so) as it will help you remember the high yield topics and focus on them.

As for how to use DIT, use it as intended. Do 3 videos a day doing all the extra course material in the DIT handbook (the videos explain it all). And then at the end of the day I suggest doing a q-block (or 2 if you want) and then spend time working on your weak high yield areas. Also I suggest just doing it on week days and using the weekends for your personal weak areas. Im in my final month so I spend saturday going over my weaknesses and sunday i do an NBME/UWSA/4 blocks of questions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DIT is very good but dont make the mistake of substituting it in place of Kaplan or some other review source. As the DIT guy says, DIT is to be used in your final month, after going over all your other review sources. DIT's main purpose is not so much to teach you things or explain things, but to point you towards the High Yield points you want to remember for the exam, and give you catchy ways of memorizing it.

Can you substitute DIT for Kaplan? NO. Kaplan helps you learn the key concepts that are necessary to do well. Should you do DIT? I highly recommend it, but only towards the end (final month or so) as it will help you remember the high yield topics and focus on them.

As for how to use DIT, use it as intended. Do 3 videos a day doing all the extra course material in the DIT handbook (the videos explain it all). And then at the end of the day I suggest doing a q-block (or 2 if you want) and then spend time working on your weak high yield areas. Also I suggest just doing it on week days and using the weekends for your personal weak areas. Im in my final month so I spend saturday going over my weaknesses and sunday i do an NBME/UWSA/4 blocks of questions.
thanks for the info and all the best for your exams!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Please remove yourself from stated delusions- THEY JUST REHASH FIRST AID -WORD FOR WORD-- this is "McNaughten's rule" in practice i..e, one is criminally insane to use them!
Im sure anyone could do well without DIT (and Im sure thousands already have) but if you have the money and the time, I would not say that they are a complete waste of time. The constant reiteration of key points and constant quizzes really help solidify key information in your mind. Also, I think they do a rather good job of pointing out what you are most likely to see in the exam. FA is a loaded book and while you could potentially get a question on anything within FA, they let you know which topics you are more likely to get a question from. This helps to get you to focus your attention more on certain things rather than spending days trying to memorize and understand a complex concept that is unlikely to show up on your exam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts