USMLE Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On their step 1 review web page they wrote this:
How do I score above 230 on the USMLE?
Since its inception in 2000, Doctors In Training.com (formerly named What You Need To Know) has studied what makes one person perform better on the USMLE Step 1 exam than another person. There is a definite formula for doing well on the USMLE, and here it is:
1. Go through First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 three times (Doctors In Training.com will help you do this)
2. Take the 15-day Doctors In Training.com USMLE Step 1 Review
3. Start reviewing material at least 3 months prior to you test (Jan or Feb for May-June test takers)
3. Complete at least 2000 questions from Kaplan Q-bank or USMLEWorld.com
4. Read BRS Pathology and BRS Physiology
5. Review the first 7 chapters of Robbins Pathology
6. Meet with a study partner routinely
- At least twice a week for the 5 months prior to your test (Jan-April).
- Daily the last 4-6 weeks prior to your test (May-June).

Now my question is should I really follow this plan? Where's Kaplan?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kaplan is not as famous among American grads as it is in IMGs
Sticking to that plan would probably get high scores but for fresh graduates and enough time to prepare

For IMG and specially old grads, I highly recommend Kaplan materials, as it's difficult for them to read BRS patho and physio and First Aid alone will look confusing

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kaplan is not everything in the world
You can still ace the exam without it
I suggest you follow their plan

·
Registered
124 Posts
meeting with a study partnet is not necessary

at the bottom of the list it says meet with a study partner but I think it is better if you prepare alone, well in my case anyway. It is not necessary for you to pass

·
Registered
238 Posts
at the bottom of the list it says meet with a study partner but I think it is better if you prepare alone, well in my case anyway. It is not necessary for you to pass
Yea agreed. :) I do not study with a partner too. But sometimes I do wish I have a study partner whom I can bounce ideas back and forth with, or share questions and facts with. Maybe it will make the studying less dull.

But I think whats really important to do well in Step 1 is just 3 words.

Motivation, Determination and Perseverance.

Motivation. Remember why you want to take the boards, remember what drives you.

Determination. Be determined and focus on your goal.

Perseverance. Withstand the ups and downs, the challenge. If the toughness of the preperation makes you fall on your knees, always get up. and go back to remember what was it that motivated you in the 1st place.:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why only the first 7 chapters

Why do people talk like it is impossible to read the whole book, just start during your basic schience course and you should be fine, also one edition of the book come with a pocket guide so you could start with that instead of reading the whole big book in one go..

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think the problem would be most people don't truly start planning the study schedule for USMLE the moment they start med school. It would be ideal to start early though. You can never prepare too much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
DIT plan?

On their step 1 review web page they wrote this:
How do I score above 230 on the USMLE?
Since its inception in 2000, Doctors In Training.com (formerly named What You Need To Know) has studied what makes one person perform better on the USMLE Step 1 exam than another person. There is a definite formula for doing well on the USMLE, and here it is:
1. Go through First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 three times (Doctors In Training.com will help you do this)
2. Take the 15-day Doctors In Training.com USMLE Step 1 Review
3. Start reviewing material at least 3 months prior to you test (Jan or Feb for May-June test takers)
3. Complete at least 2000 questions from Kaplan Q-bank or USMLEWorld.com
4. Read BRS Pathology and BRS Physiology
5. Review the first 7 chapters of Robbins Pathology
6. Meet with a study partner routinely
- At least twice a week for the 5 months prior to your test (Jan-April).
- Daily the last 4-6 weeks prior to your test (May-June).

Now my question is should I really follow this plan? Where's Kaplan?
Hi, did you follow through DIT plan? How did it work out for you? I am also thinking about using the same strategy. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts