USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am an IMG- US citizen. I am currently in Europe preparing for step 1 and hopefully will be ready in late March-early April. I was just wondering whether it makes a difference if I take the test in a prometric center in Europe or in the US.

I spoke once with an American doctor who mentioned that he believed that taking the exam in the US will be better for my application in the match, because of some cheating issues in the past from some countries in Europe. :rolleyes:

In my opinion it makes no difference and I would rather not spend the money to fly back home just to take the test. Oh, I forgot to say that im still in Europe because of my PhD program, so flying back just for a week to take the test is not my favorite option.

Thanks for your replies!!!!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
It does not matter

It does not matter at all. Whether you take it in US, Europe, Asia or any part of the world.

A Prometric center is a Prometric center no matter what. If they suspect a "cheating" issue they'll immediately close the center.

Moreover, residency programs will not know where did you take the exam! Your score report does not include that information, it's the same score report for all people :indifferent:

·
Registered
281 Posts
i wouldn't think there should be a problem writing your USMLE in Europe... just a little more expensive 2 do it there than the US... I wrote my USMLE in Canada Toronto... If i ever got penalized for writing in Canada.. it would seem a little ridiculous considering that Canadian Medical students can write the USMLE as well as there own standardized MCCQE in every Prometric center in Canada. Should be fine 2 write in Europe considering that when you finish your exam.. the whole exam answers you chose in your PC would immediately be sent via over the internet to the ECFMG or whomever the USMLE offices are and they deal with your results.

Reactions: adorisz
1 - 4 of 4 Posts