USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I am an old IMG mom who is starting from the scratch. I would love any feedback you guys may have regarding the timetable I'm planning on. Thanks guys
Anatomy- FA.
Biochem-Kaplan
Physio-Kaplan
Patho-Pathoma,FA
Immuno-Kaplan
Biostats, Ethics- Kaplan, Kaplan cases
Qn bank-UWorld.
Do I have to absolutely take NBME as well? I am on a tight budget, so wanted to do only the most essential of stuff.
Thanks you guys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Guys I am an old IMG mom who is starting from the scratch. I would love any feedback you guys may have regarding the timetable I'm planning on. Thanks guys
Anatomy- FA.
Biochem-Kaplan
Physio-Kaplan
Patho-Pathoma,FA
Immuno-Kaplan
Biostats, Ethics- Kaplan, Kaplan cases
Qn bank-UWorld.
Do I have to absolutely take NBME as well? I am on a tight budget, so wanted to do only the most essential of stuff.
Thanks you guys.
To be honest, I do not think anybody would be able to have a definitive answer. If you exhaust the resources you have listed above to their max you will be able to pass, maybe even score above the mean, at least that is what I have heard. However, it will all depend on your prior knowledge, your intellectual capabilities, etc.

There are too many variables that come into play other than just the resources that you have to take into account. It also depends on what score you are aiming for. Since you mentioned that you are an old IMG you will need a higher score than a recent grad to match into the same program.

In general, the more NBMEs you take the better. It is wise to take NBMEs especially if you are on a budget. It gives you a rough estimate of whether you are ready to take the test. Now there are many people that argue about NBMEs predictive values. The truth is, we do not have anything better and the real scores are very well estimated by the NBMEs for most of the people. If you do not take the NBMEs and you do not know where you are scoring you are running the risk of failing the test and in addition to having that on your record you will have to pay the fee again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for replying, so in short NBME is absolutely necessary, is what you are saying. Its been a long time since I have opened any books, so everything is greek to me at this point. Also I have an overwhelming lot of responsibilities, but then again what would you suggest, I could add to the resource list?
I am thinking of taking the test in about 6 months and I can try study for 5-max 6 hours a day. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my long posts. Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks so much for replying, so in short NBME is absolutely necessary, is what you are saying. Its been a long time since I have opened any books, so everything is greek to me at this point. Also I have an overwhelming lot of responsibilities, but then again what would you suggest, I could add to the resource list?
I am thinking of taking the test in about 6 months and I can try study for 5-max 6 hours a day. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my long posts. Thanks!
I have not taken the test yet myself. I am taking the long route since I am still a third year med student (in a 6 year program). I am also using a bunch of textbooks for my first read (usually the top rated resource in the back of FA), some flash cards (micro and pharm), in addition to Kaplan, I also use Becker lectures, MedQuest cases, MedQuest physical findings, Kaplan cases, Raymon cases. I also use USMLE-Rx qbank, planning to subscribe to a Kaplan qbank after I am done with my first read.

However, all that is irrelevant if you only have 6 months. I just passed a one year point in my prep and I still have 12 months till my exam.

From what I have learned from the people that have taken the exam, you need to be planning about 12 hrs a day of pure study time during the last two months. 6 hrs a day for 6 months might be doable for Kaplan, Pathoma, and UW, but the big thing is how well you can learn and retain information.

The word on the street is that FA+UWORLD is enough to pass but you have to have it down cold. And the only way you get it down cold is by spending a crapload of time studying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts