USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Dude,

That's very easy, they are listed in Kaplan book just read them they won't take more than 2 minutes of your time!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I doubt you'd get a question like "Patient comes in with an obvious psych disorder - which of the following is the correct":

a) an axis I diagnosis
b) an axis II diagnosis
c) an axis III diagnosis
d) an axis IV diagnosis

Much better to actually make you figure out the diagnosis - this would be way too simple for the USMLE. Maybe they could ask you "Patient comes in blah blah blah - after review by psychiatrist, an organic cause is suspected - which of the following axis III disorders does the patient have" so then you're looking for an organic disorder with characteristic psych symptoms like Lesch-Nyhan with self mutilation etc...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Perhaps we should know each axis for our own benefit. My psych lecturer said when we face a problem and use the axis to breakdown the patient's diagnosis, it gets easier for us. Although, I dunno how far that is true because when I come across a psychiatry question, I just wanna answer it immediately (if i can).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bacterial endocarditis (Endocarditis) - High Yeild Topics For USMLE, 10 Points You Should Know

Bacterial endocarditis (Endocarditis) - High Yeild Topics For USMLE, 10 Points You Should Know
is a localized infection of the endocardium
characterized by vegetations involving the valve leaflets or walls.
It can also be classified as acute (ABE) or subacute (SBE).
Infection of healthy valves by high-virulence organisms
Produces metastatic foci
Usually fatal if not treated within 6 weeks
Most common organism is S. aureus (MCQ)
Seeding of previously damaged valves (rheumatic heart disease, con-
genital valve defects: mitral valve prolapse)
caused by low-virulence organisms
Does not produce metastatic foci
Most common organism is Streptococcus viridans (MCQ)
Mitral valve is most often affected(MCQ)
Read more at news4medico dot com/endocarditis/
1132 High Yeild Topics for USMLE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts