USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that all above 55 with new onset dyspepsia + below 55 with alarming signs must undergo upper endoscopy first

In UW it's mentioned that upper endoscopy is also warranted if there's a family history of colon cancer
does this mean that even if a young patient presenting with dyspepsia and having a family history of GIT cancer ( colon, stomach, eosophageal...) MUST undergo endoscopy first ??:confused::confused:

THank you

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't remember what UW says about young pt with family hx of GI cancer...
But if this 24 y/o pt came in with dyspepsia, FHx of colon cancer with no alarming symptoms, I would choose the answer that send him off with PPI. If you have the question ID for UW that talks about family history and dyspepsia, can you please put it up here? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't remember what UW says about young pt with family hx of GI cancer...
But if this 24 y/o pt came in with dyspepsia, FHx of colon cancer with no alarming symptoms, I would choose the answer that send him off with PPI. If you have the question ID for UW that talks about family history and dyspepsia, can you please put it up here? Thanks
It's not a question , the question in general was about dyspepsia and in the explanation they said, and I quote :
"patients of any age with alarm symptoms ( unexplained weight loss, persistent vomiting, dysphagia, gastrointestinal blood loss, odynophagia, or family histrory of gastrointestinal cancer) on histrory should be evaluated with an upper endoscopy"
:confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.