USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i came across this mnemonic while studying microbiology for the E.coli strains:

PITcH:
EPEC - pediatric (P)
EIEC - inflammatory (I)
ETEC - traveler (T)
- coli (C)
EHEC - Hamburger (H)

now, EHEC can lead to HUS in children. so i dnt get why the mnemonic says hamburger instead of HUS. what is the significance of hamburger. is it an american thing or are they trying to just help us with memorizing? not very important i know but its killing me. I HAVE TO KNOW!!!:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
because this type of bacteria is found in raw meat{undercooked}.and there have been several waves of EHEC in the USA in the summer specially dt bbq of the under cooked hamburger.that's why

hi i came across this mnemonic while studying microbiology for the E.coli strains:

PITcH:
EPEC - pediatric (P)
EIEC - inflammatory (I)
ETEC - traveler (T)
- coli (C)
EHEC - Hamburger (H)

now, EHEC can lead to HUS in children. so i dnt get why the mnemonic says hamburger instead of HUS. what is the significance of hamburger. is it an american thing or are they trying to just help us with memorizing? not very important i know but its killing me. I HAVE TO KNOW!!!:eek:
because this type of bacteria is found in raw meat{undercooked}.and there have been several waves of EHEC in the USA in the summer specially dt bbq of the under cooked hamburger.that's why

1 - 5 of 5 Posts