USMLE Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 43 year old man likes to eat an almost completely raw meat for his daily dinners. Today he was astonished to see worm-like stuff coming out from his anus. His physician asked to examine the stool sample which revealed small structures looking like rice grain particles. Microscopic examination revealed proglottids. What is the best course of action for this patient?

A- Metronidazole 5 days treatment
B- No treatment is needed
C- Single dose of Niclosamide
D- Doxycycline 7 days treatment
E- Surgical removal of intestinal cysts

Update: this question turned out to be wrong see reply number 7 below

·
Registered
33 Posts
single dose of niclosamide

praziquantel if Niclosamide-resistant T-saginata :)
thanks for your interesting questions

·
Registered
33 Posts
option c

single dose of niclosamide is the answer :cool:
unless there is an invisible trick in the question :D

T solium for pigs (bacon)
T saginata for cows (beef)

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you don't mind me asking - where did you get this question? I'm curious because Niclosamide is no longer marketed in the US and it seems odd to have a question about it...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the wrong question

If you don't mind me asking - where did you get this question? I'm curious because Niclosamide is no longer marketed in the US and it seems odd to have a question about it...
Oh my God, you are absolutely right. This question is definitely wrong. I didn't get it from anywhere, it's my make :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
I never even remembered about Niclosamide in my step 1 review, I can't recall ever reading about it... but to get to that answer choice:

1.) Metronidazole is for microscopic stuff (Anaerobes, Giardia/Ameoba, Trichomona,etc) not for large sized worm looking creatures. Discard.

2.) Discard
3.) Not sure, amide for infection?
4.) Doxycycline usually used for bacterium that you can't normally kill with penicillins, not for small white rice resembling worm. Discard
5.) What cysts? Even if there were cysts, you have to treat the cause of the cysts, which would be a bug/parasite, kill that first. Discard

Well, with everything else fully accounted for, chances are it was C, Niclosamide.

Thanks for the review

·
Registered
33 Posts
it's still used here in Egypt

I answered this question from my clinical experience , not from books ! I didn't star reading yet
but these topics (parasitic infection) are important to us here in Egypt and other developing countries especially worms and SCHISTOSOMIASIS
and by the way Niclosamide is used in Egypt till now !!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I answered this question from my clinical experience , not from books ! I didn't star reading yet
but these topics (parasitic infection) are important to us here in Egypt and other developing countries especially worms and SCHISTOSOMIASIS
and by the way Niclosamide is used in Egypt till now !!
lol.. i hear u dude. its used here in Indonesia too.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts