USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I started studying for the step before signing up for it, I was supposed to do it 2 weeks ago but I guess I had too much on my mind. I know this is a little bit of a stretch but can any one of the veterans help me out with the exact process of what I need to do to take my step 1, I do already have my pin/password for ECFMG, but I haven't filled out their online app yet.

Could you guys please run through of what all processes do I need to go through to sign up for step 1 / ECFMG...Please any help would be greatly appreciated (I'm an IMG from a Caribbean med school, if that makes any difference)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks again goodboy!

but seems like most of those are related to Graduates, I'm sorry I didn't specify that I'm still a current student....how much does that change? because some of the steps listed are for graduates to verify credentials and diplomas etc!

·
Registered
365 Posts
thanks again goodboy!

but seems like most of those are related to Graduates, I'm sorry I didn't specify that I'm still a current student....how much does that change? because some of the steps listed are for graduates to verify credentials and diplomas etc!
Steps are:
GO get an passport photo

Log onto http://www.ecfmg.org
Click IWA- Register for exam
Add your USMLE/ECFMG name and password
click apply for exam (step 1 in your case)
You fill out some forms
you print off form 186 attach your passport photo to this paper and send that to your school
they verify and send it to ecfmg
ecfmg says they've gotten the paper and will send you a CIN number to take your exam
once you get your CIN number in your email box you then go to sylvan website and pick what testing centre and what date you want to take the exam.

·
Registered
365 Posts
nice and concise! thanks bud!
not a problem

don't be afraid to study for the exam a month or 2 before signing up.
You have a 3 month block to take the exam and can do only 1 extension.
so a total of 6 months.

I liked to study and then sign up when I feel ready. OThers disagree with that, but it worked for me. Do whats right for you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
thank you...May you tell us when is the fees step in that whole process?
The fee is at the end of the sign up process. I don't think you can continue or print anything off until you pay your 700+ dollars. Once you pay the money 1 part is sent off to ECFMG and you get a response by email right away then the other part is sent by you to the school.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts