USMLE Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi friends.what are the chances of acceptance at mount sinai when someone applies 7.5-8 months before the elective starting date?at that time the department where i wanted to apply told me that they had slots for my months but don't know will they be filled till my app is reviewed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
also i didn't send my step 1 score because i haven't given it,instead i sent them my basic sciences score cards and transcript.but i haven't send the step 1 waiver letter from my dean.will that affect my app?

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi friends.what are the chances of acceptance at mount sinai when someone applies 7.5-8 months before the elective starting date?at that time the department where i wanted to apply told me that they had slots for my months but don't know will they be filled till my app is reviewed.
Hi you have a good chance of being accepted if you send in your complete application early enough. I think it does not matter whether you have step 1 or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Visa status for elective at Mount sinai

I want to apply for a month long elective at Mount sinai. I have few questions,
1) Website states that only F1 visa is accepted. HAs anyone done an elective there with B1/B2 visa instead?
2) Which electives are open to foregin medical students?
3) is toefl required although english was the medium of instruction in medical school?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I want to apply for a month long elective at Mount sinai. I have few questions,
1) Website states that only F1 visa is accepted. HAs anyone done an elective there with B1/B2 visa instead?
2) Which electives are open to foregin medical students?
3) is toefl required although english was the medium of instruction in medical school?

1) no only F1 is accepted. I have B1/B2 multiple entry as well but I entered with my F1 visa
2) somewhere in the website does state this, otherwise call/email the program coordinator, Ms Persaud
3) yes TOEFL is a must.

·
Registered
3 Posts
elective at Mount Sinai

Hi, can anyone clarify what is the final year and penultimate year for medical student from India? Mount Sinai accepts for these years only. Does this mean that 6th and 7th semester students will qualify ?(being in penultimate year). Or is 8th and 9th semester treated as penultimate year?

Is there a cut off score for Basic Science Courses (in lieu of USMLE step 1)? What specifically are they looking for to make a selection?

How is the absence from medical college (4 weeks for the purpose of Electives) treated? How does it impact attendance?

·
Registered
26 Posts
To answer your questions,

1) it all depends on how your "Dean's letter" gonna put it. As long as the word "final/penultimate" year is mentioned, Mount Sinai side could not care less about this. By right, the last 2 years of medical school in India are 8,9 Semesters and internship year.

2) I don't think there is a cut off for Basic science exam scores. It's on first come first serve basis.

3) Again it depends on your college. My college (Manipal) gives 1 month attendance for students who go for elective during 8th Sem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To answer your questions,

1) it all depends on how your "Dean's letter" gonna put it. As long as the word "final/penultimate" year is mentioned, Mount Sinai side could not care less about this. By right, the last 2 years of medical school in India are 8,9 Semesters and internship year.

2) I don't think there is a cut off for Basic science exam scores. It's on first come first serve basis.

3) Again it depends on your college. My college (Manipal) gives 1 month attendance for students who go for elective during 8th Sem.
Thanks so much. Any idea, how many Indian students does Mount Sinai take? How is an elective at Mount Sinai regarded in terms of value to the CV?

·
Registered
26 Posts
No idea.

As long as it is hands on elective done at a teaching hospital in the US, it is helpful towards your application. But of course, the bigger the name of the institution the more bearing it has towards your CV, or at least it looks more impressive.
After all, the "content" LoR you get out of your elective is the most important. So work hard during your elective and get a strong LoR out of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read recently that 2015 is turning point for IMGs in the USA since the number of US med students exceeds spots available for residencies. Therefore it will become very tough for IMGs. Any thoughts on this? How attractive is US going to be for Indians now? Should we look at other countries,and plan electives in those other countries?

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes you are right. Just tell the embassy that you are coming as a visiting student and so F1 visa is needed. they wont cancel your B1/B2. With the right documentation getting a F1 visa is easy.
Hi soulmate. I'm going to apply to mount sinai but I'm going to have to apply 6 months in advance to the start date as compared to their instructions of applying 8 months earlier. Do you think that would pose a problem ? Kindly reply I really need help on this. Thank you :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I read recently that 2015 is turning point for IMGs in the USA since the number of US med students exceeds spots available for residencies. Therefore it will become very tough for IMGs. Any thoughts on this? How attractive is US going to be for Indians now? Should we look at other countries,and plan electives in those other countries?
every year they say this things

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.