USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a final year medical student, looking to take up electives before I finish my final year in the US.

I need to know if electives can be done only in the Universities and associated hospitals, or electives can be undertaken in private settings too?

Would the letter of recommendation from there make a difference, or not?

And the associated pro's and cons.

Please help. Its urgent.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Try to avoid private clinics

private clinics electives are not as good as Universities and University affiliated clinics.

My friend has done 3 electives, two in universities and one in a private clinic.

Some of the PDs in his match interviews did not like his "private" clinic election. I think they tend to think that if you do a private clinic elective then you probably has got that via connection and the teaching system there is not as authentic and organized as in the case of a big teaching institutions.

So if you can avoid the private clinic it would be best for you

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also agree with Mary, and you should do your best to get your electives done in Hospitals or designated teaching institutions. Unless you will be practicing outside US. But if you want to avoid the hassles of being asked repeatedly "why" and how as the teaching, just go with what Mary said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts