USMLE Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, is there any restrictions for the electives in terms of time, and a state time restriction?... and is it legal to do an elective in a private hospital with physician supervision?

Texas and Massachusetts are the states i have the question

·
Registered
546 Posts
Mmm...Important question
Every institute has its rules...some allow for 4 weeks only, others 2 months, others 4 months......

I think the most important point in your question is about state restrictions:
New York State allows elective period up to 12 weeks...if you exceed this limit you will loose your chance to match in that State...So be Careful .

I do not know what applies for other states

Your last question, it is prefered to do elective at university hospital or its affliations...but if you can not get that...Private (Community) hospital is still better than nothing.

Good Luck

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmm...Important question
Every institute has its rules...some allow for 4 weeks only, others 2 months, others 4 months......

I think the most important point in your question is about state restrictions:
New York State allows elective period up to 12 weeks...if you exceed this limit you will loose your chance to match in that State...So be Careful .

I do not know what applies for other states

Your last question, it is prefered to do elective at university hospital or its affliations...but if you can not get that...Private (Community) hospital is still better than nothing.

Good Luck
thanks for the response earlier. My question is if the elective at a private hospital and clinic is legal for an elective?

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
It's not needed for observerships

As I told you before it is still better than doing nothing!
Insurance? if it is hands on elective, you will need to buy malpractice insurance & health insurance. You need the latter even if you do observership!
Malpractice and liability insurance is not needed for "hands-off" observerships.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts