USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi! I will be applying for electives at HWCOM for Jan-March 2017.
I need help with the documents that need to be submitted. I tried emailing their office several times but ....
Their guidelines state that they need only your CV, Application form, Transcript, application fee receipt and a rotation agreement form.
Then their application form states that we need to attach our immunization records, malpractice insurance and health insurance proof and a security check. SO should I send all of that together?

Anyone who has rotated there, please help me with this....I'd realllyyy appreciate it.
Also how hard is it to get in? It's one of the veeeery few places that don't need step1 and I want to know my chances :/

·
Registered
72 Posts
Follow the instructions mentioned on the Application form. You can provide health and malpractice insurance proof after confirmation too.
So I just mail them my CV, completed Application form, Dean's letter, Transcript and the fee receipt? That's it? I'm kind of wary about this because I'm applying at 3 different places and the money that i'll be blowing on the application fee itself scares me. I'm applying at UAB, FIU and Cornell...

Did you do an elective at HWCOM? I'd love it if you could share your experience :)

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
72 Posts
FIU experience?

Hi
Please share your experiences at FIU electives because there's one thread on this forum that says that the rotations are okay and not that good. I'd really appreciate if someone had feedback regarding HWCOM's electives....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you already applied to UAB? It seems like a nice option considering that we have to make a one time payment and not worry about the stay, food and insurance. But they mentioned on their website that we have to send in the applications not earlier than 3 months before the date you want to elective. So I am still waiting. Meanwhile, I am contemplating applying to Mount Sinai. Have you given that a though? The application fee is a little steep, but my friend did a one month rotation there, and she said it was really good. Much better than FIU.
UAB wants a Skype Interview. 5k is too much, yes, but I can get a place to stay and not worry about the malpractice and stuff, atleast....FIU doesn't have ANY reviews at all! And those who've gone, apparently thought it was okay....so I'm applying to it but still not sure. If I don't get in anywhere, I'd go for FIU. And Cornell, they say it's too hard to get in, but i've still applied cuz you never know. I'm sending my application to FIU tomorrow hopefully....I'm just focusing on getting in somewhere first, accommodation is not on my mind as of now :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good luck everyone applying for electives/observerships

A quick question.. what if I apply to multiple hospitals and I get accepted for more than one? is it easy to choose one and cancel the other, is it usual to happen, or is it going to be a bad thing to do??
I feel it's better to apply at multiple to increase your chances, cuz you never know. But it's a costly affair since the application fees are really steep. If you have a killer CV and are sure you'll get in, maybe you can apply at just one place. But I think the timing would matter too, right? SInce they probably have like hundreds of students applying.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got accepted at Yale as well for Radiation Oncology in No-Dec 2016. Should I accept it? The fees is staggering! (3500$) Also, I hear they don't give LORs. Could anyone answer my question - Yale or FIU?
Wow! I missed the Yale deadlines, otherwise I'd definitely go there. I mean it HAS to be better than FIU. It's only logical. :/
I didn't get any reply from FIU but I got accepted at UAB for Infectious Diseases in March 17.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congratulations Radhika! Happy for you.
Thanks for the help guys :)
BTW you should really check with FIU whether or not they give LORs. I think they offer only assessments, that's what I've heard. But also since they don't have residents, the interns get to do a lot more, so I think you'd be able to learn so much. However if i had to decide between FIU and Yale, it'd be Yale, no doubt. Even though everyone knows it's paid, it looks better on your resume doesn't it? :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts