USMLE Forums banner
81 - 100 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
By fake I mean they are not permitted to take international visiting students. There was a link somewhere regarding rules in Florida . But I haven't seen the details so I can't be sure about this. I hope it's all good

Imagine being given what was basically an observership with a private practitioner. It wasn't how it was described in the emails. I was told only later on that I won't get to come to any hospital.

I know the place exists with real students in it lol. It didn't go so good for me, but I genuinely hope it goes well for you @bluexberry. I agree with you, something is better than nothing !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I understand if my situation is not very relatable. I come from a conservative family in Syria and I've barely stepped outside the country. To my parents the idea of sitting alone with a nurse and a "35 year old male preceptor" (stress on that. Yes, dad looked it up 😑) in miami was "appalling" 😂
Anyways it all worked out. We relocated to Egypt and I've started my residency here 🙃
Inshallh it's going to work out for all of you as well!

·
Registered
59 Posts
After you get accepted they send you an email containing the link to the background check website. But the drug screen, you're supposed to do it on your own. At least that is what I think. I did get accepted, but I still have to complete these formalities - the background check, drug screen and malpractice insurance.

Makes no point doing all of this along with your application it self. So, if you haven't received an acceptance from them, don't do it just yet. You probably will get accepted and you can do it after that.
Thank you for the reply.Regarding the drug screen just again a re-assurance that i can send it after getting accepted right.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't done the elective yet. I've been accepted for a Cardiology and Emergency Medicine Elective for the months of February and March - 2017.
How am I supposed to give the dates for eg: like jan- feb, mar- apri, may-jun, or can I give it like only feb mar april for the 3 months respectively.
What should we write about the desired no. of electives.?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I just saw your message.
Initially all you have to send is your application form downloadable from their website and the documents which are stated on the application form.
You don't have to send the Health Insurance, Malpractice Insurance, Drug Screen and Criminal background Check along with your application for the elective. You can send those when you get accepted.
Regarding how you can fill in the form - you can download it as a PDF, and depending on the version of Adobe you have you can fill it in on your PC itself. You will however have to print it out to sign it. You can then re-scan it and send it along with all your other documents via an e-mail. They'll respond immediately if there is a problem. They're quick to respond.
For th esignature, they have something like elctronically digitalised signature. Should i sign using that or should i print-- sign---scan and email to them?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I just saw your message.
Initially all you have to send is your application form downloadable from their website and the documents which are stated on the application form.
You don't have to send the Health Insurance, Malpractice Insurance, Drug Screen and Criminal background Check along with your application for the elective. You can send those when you get accepted.
Regarding how you can fill in the form - you can download it as a PDF, and depending on the version of Adobe you have you can fill it in on your PC itself. You will however have to print it out to sign it. You can then re-scan it and send it along with all your other documents via an e-mail. They'll respond immediately if there is a problem. They're quick to respond.
How can i send by 2 passport photographs along with the CV? Should i attach them to the CV? But 2 photos where should I attach them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
@kv91; And for these? How is one supposed to give the dates?
Yes, I did apply to Mount Sinai, but my application reached them just a few days before the last date. So, they sent me my application fee back and told me they couldn't accommodate me into the Program on such short notice. If you're applying well in advance, at least 9 months, then there is a good chance you'll get through. As for the dates at FIU, you have to give them dates that start on the first Monday of any month. I followed the dates as given by Weill Cornell's website.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, I did apply to Mount Sinai, but my application reached them just a few days before the last date. So, they sent me my application fee back and told me they couldn't accommodate me into the Program on such short notice. If you're applying well in advance, at least 9 months, then there is a good chance you'll get through. As for the dates at FIU, you have to give them dates that start on the first Monday of any month. I followed the dates as given by Weill Cornell's website.
Thank you for your patience in answering my queries kv91 :) Really appreciate it.
Did you get accepted into Cornell? I am applying now. Is there any other source I can contact you. Via an Email may be.

81 - 100 of 159 Posts