USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to do the elective course next year and I want to do it in the US so it would raise my chances of getting the residency there, so does it matter if I took the elective of a specialty that isn't related to what i'm going to specialize in the future?

I mean does it help me getting the residency or should I take it in the same specialty?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Grading the strength of your electives

If we suppose to grade the strength of you residency out of 10
then I'd say this
Electives in the specialty that you will apply for is graded 10/10
Electives in a similar specialty (for example IM elective when in fact you want dermatology) that's graded 8/10
Electives in a remote specialty (for example surgery elective while you want IM) that's graded 5/10

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i'm still a bit confused about what specialty i should apply for ! -as i am an IMG from the middle east with no US citizenship or green card- i am afraid i would take the elective in a specialty that is highly competitive and it would be of no benefit for me!
so can you help me by suggesting specialties that have good chances of acceptance??
another question : i noticed that many universities allow only 4 weeks for elective rotations, i am asked to have 8 weeks , how can i solve this ??

·
Registered
741 Posts
well i'm still a bit confused about what specialty i should apply for ! -as i am an IMG from the middle east with no US citizenship or green card- i am afraid i would take the elective in a specialty that is highly competitive and it would be of no benefit for me!
so can you help me by suggesting specialties that have good chances of acceptance??
another question : i noticed that many universities allow only 4 weeks for elective rotations, i am asked to have 8 weeks , how can i solve this ??
You have good chances in family medicine, internal medicine, psychiatry, and pediatrics.
You can do two electives in two different universities to make up the 8 weeks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts