USMLE Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 45 year old male presented with erectile dysfunction for the last three months. Despite sildenafil and hormonal and herbal supplementation his condition did not improve. Review of systems is negative apart from occasional joint aches sometimes. On examination a firm palpable liver was found as well as yellow-brown pigmented spots on the trunk. Significant labs included an elevated HbA1C and mild elevation of transaminases. This patient is at risk of developing which of the following?
A- Hyperthyroidism
B- Multiple sclerosis
C- Iron deficiency
D- Vibrio vulnificus infection
E- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ahh i was thinking that too, after posting my answer....I think i would like to change it to E, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, although there is 'Restrictive Cardiomyopathy' in hemochromatosis, so not sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You know what ? ... Firstly, I chose " E " then ,,, I changed it to " D " ... I don't know whether its right or not ?
I remembered that " Cardiomyopathy is Restrictive in Hemochromatosis " ( Not hypertrophic type ), Besides the fact that Vibrio Vulnificus infection is very possible in Hemochromatosis patient !!
So, I think "D" is more possible answer ....

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's hemochromatosis

You guys are right
This is a case of hemochromatosis and they are vulnerable to vibrio vulnificus and yersinia infections :)

Guys, let's play this game often, it's entertaining and it will help us prepare. If you see an interesting question post it here so that we can discuss it.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Erectile dysfunction is a harmful condition where men cannot able to achieve erection and due to this, they are unable to perform their sexual life successfully. This is very common in older man. In this the arteries gets narrowed which takes the blood flow to penis. This may be a serious problem if not cured on time. I would like to guide you through the below link which is described briefly about erectile dysfunction.

erectiledysfunctioninmen.jimdo.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.