USMLE Forums banner

Exam phobia Panic

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  kalyan 
#1 ·
Dear friends,

I have a problem that I sometimes face while taking medical school exam.

I suddenly panic and have thought block and I cannot proceed anymore, I start crying and I give up and I just cannot continue the exam.

What to do in such case.

I appreciate any help guys.

#2 ·
I had a similar problem and I visited a psychiatrist for advice.

Out of all the techniques he recommended, only one worked for me which is this

Close your eyes, take deep repeated breaths, think of something completely unrelated to the exam and that provokes a pleasant feeling (in my case was thinking of my son). Do this for one minute. Then return back to the questions.

It worked for me :)

#4 ·
Well I would go see a psychiatrist, does this happen on any other occasion, sound serious and I never met anyone like that before, just think happy thoughts and hope you do well on your exam
It does happen to me sometimes in extreme stressful situations.
but i don't freak out as in the case of medical exam
my parents are asking me to give up medical school because of this :(

#6 ·
I do not know if this will help, but sometimes I get all agitated and nervous too. Then one of my friends recommended this "alpha-break" tape. Its an audio clip with someone speaking to you in a very nice and gentle way, it triggers your brain to go to an alpha stage, where you are more calm and focused. It works for me, and i hope it will work for you too.:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.